well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    So my attempt to avoid a colonoscopy failed.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So my attempt to avoid a colonoscopy failed.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
The test came back positive, and I have to have one anyway. Here’s hoping I’m one of the 6% of 50-65 year olds that get false positives. Or at least that they are only pre-cancerous lesions. I’m now thinking that maybe just having the colonoscopy in the first place would have been easier, as I’ve been referred, and have to wait for them to call me to schedule an appointment.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The last time that happened, the doctor told me he'd referred me and I'd get a call.

I walked out of the doctor's office, looked up the phone number for the referred doctor, called, and made my appointment. They said they hadn't gotten the referral yet, and that it was policy not to make the appointment until they got the referral. I pointed out that the referral would come in long before I had to see the doctor, and I had a PPO anyway. They checked with the doctor, and made the appointment.

It saved a few days minimum, and at worst it saved the extra time when the referral might have gotten misplaced.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Referral? I just got my notice from the Gastro office reminding ME that it was time ... Big Grin

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
The test came back positive, and I have to have one anyway. Here’s hoping I’m one of the 6% of 50-65 year olds that get false positives. Or at least that they are only pre-cancerous lesions. I’m now thinking that maybe just having the colonoscopy in the first place would have been easier, as I’ve been referred, and have to wait for them to call me to schedule an appointment.

Is the test any more specific than "positive." Positive for what? Certain cell types?

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
This is all according to what I found online- Some sort of DNA marker that cancerous or precancerous cells throw off. But also aging cells (which are what gives the false positives, I think) though that is more common over 65, 10% false positives in that group. I turned 60 this year.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The test is an automated assay for tumor-specific DNA changes, including aberrant methylated BMP3 and NDRG4, a mutant form of KRAS, beta-actin, and hemoglobin. Unlike other fecal tests, which need to be performed annually, Cologuard can be used every three years because of its high accuracy.

sounds like they're looking for certain DNA changes and for blood in the stool (the hemoglobin part)

quote:
FDA approval was based on data from a pivotal prospective trial involving nearly 10,000 average-risk, asymptomatic patients at 90 centers in the United States and Canada. The trial, called DeeP-C, compared the safety and efficacy of Cologuard and the fecal immunochemical test (FIT) — the most commonly used fecal occult blood test —with colonoscopy. Study results were published in the March 2014 issue of The New England Journal of Medicine.

The study's primary performance measures were Cologuard CRC sensitivity and Cologuard advanced neoplasia specificity. Major findings include:

Sensitivity of Cologuard for CRC was 92.3 percent overall and 94 percent for the earliest and most curable cancer stages — on a par with colonoscopy. In contrast, sensitivity of FIT for CRC was 73.8 and 70 percent, respectively.
Detection rates for polyps with high-grade dysplasia were 69.2 percent with Cologuard versus 46.2 percent with FIT; detection rates for serrated sessile polyps measuring 1 cm or more were 42.4 percent and 5.1 percent, respectively.
Specificities for Cologuard and FIT were 90 and 95 percent, respectively, for patients with negative findings on colonoscopy.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/med...reening/mac-20429632

there's also this:

quote:
Eating certain foods prior to a Cologuard test, such as red meat, horseradish, or turnips, can result in a false positive result.

Go figure.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear this Jodi, what Quirt said, don't wait on that referral.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
what Quirt said, don't wait on that referral.

When I said I walked out of the office and made the phone call ... I was in the parking lot in my car. I waited long enough to turn on the car to get the air conditioning going.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What a pain! I agree, it's most likely "aging cells" (how lovely) and a false positive. But yeah, maybe just do the regular colonoscopy, in retrospect.

Sorry you're dealing with this.

I'm on the 5-year plan, and I think I have to get one done in the next year. I don't understand why they can't make the prep more reasonable. I mean, it's not awful, there's no pain or anything, but it's a lot of yucky tasting stuff you have to down in a fairly short amount of time.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Just do it.

Four years ago, I had my second one and got a mostly clean report with a recommendation for another in five years.

I asked my new PCP for a referral even though it's only been four years. She got very animated and started telling me about other people who put it off and found stage three cancer and horror stories and death and destruction. I had to stop her and say, "no, I'm asking to do it one year *sooner* than the recommendation." She said, "oh, yeah, do that."

I just got the results. "Come back in five years."

Just do it.

Block out a day before with nothing else on your schedule.

The second time, the prep nurse said she thought she'd tough it out and do it without sedation and anesthesia. She said she would never do that again.

Just do it.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I'm on the 5-year plan

Yep, me too.

quote:
I don't understand why they can't make the prep more reasonable. I mean, it's not awful, there's no pain or anything, but it's a lot of yucky tasting stuff you have to down in a fairly short amount of time.

The prep is worse than the procedure. But, at least for me, I have found that drinking the entire amount of what they want me to drink is overkill. I've never finished it and I've always been clean as a whistle.

Pro tip: get your GI doc to prescribe the strong anti-nausea drugs. It makes the prep easier.

quote:
The second time, the prep nurse said she thought she'd tough it out and do it without sedation and anesthesia. She said she would never do that again.

At my old hospital in Massachusetts, the protocol was conscious sedation, which leaves you in twilight, but not totally out. It also includes an amnesiac agent so you're not supposed to remember anything.

Unfortunately, I'm resistant to anesthesia. I remember moving around and bits of discomfort during the procedure. Afterwards, the doctor was pretty short with us, he was apparently annoyed that I had moved around and complained during the procedure. (And Mary Anna was appropriately irritated with him ... like I could control that!) As he left, he grumbled, "Next time, Propofol."

Apparently, they preferred conscious sedation because there's a countering agent if they administer too much. There's no way to do that with Propofol ... if you get too much, the nurse anesthetist just has to bag you until it wears off, and that's time and labor-intensive.

And then the protocol at the hospital changed, and now they just use Propofol in all instances.

And, by the time I was due for my next colonoscopy, I was here in Oklahoma, and the guy here just only uses Propofol.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My first and second were at my old HMO where they used fentanyl and midazolam. Great stuff.

The guy I just saw uses just propofol. It was fine, but I didn't get that blissful, relaxed aura from the cocktail. I'm guessing (only guessing) that since fentanyl has been so much in the news recently, they aren't using it for minor stuff like a colonoscopy.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Colonoscopies are the bomb.

You drink some yucky stuff, turn your TV so you can see it from the bathroom, keep a blanket handy in case you get cold, and spend some serious me time in there.

Then you get a test that is super accurate, low risk, and good for 5-10 years of peace of mind. And for one glorious, shining day, all of your pants fit perfectly.

In many ways, it is far superior to a flu shot.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Cindy is on a roll. Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
In many ways, it is far superior to a flu shot.

ROTFLMAO Flower

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18438 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post