well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Womensplaining
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Womensplaining
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
I sometimes am so lost...never heard of either. If it has to do with M's post...why would a woman have to 'splain' how she spent HER money? ;-)

Let’s see if any of the guys have the nerve to tell LL what a mansplaining is…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Mansplaining is a pejorative term meaning " to comment on or explain something to a woman in a condescending, overconfident, and often inaccurate or oversimplified manner". Author Rebecca Solnit ascribes the phenomenon to a combination of "overconfidence and cluelessness". Wikipedia

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Womansplaining
The act of a woman actively avoiding a question by making an attempt to divert the conversation to a new topic. Urban Dictionary

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Evil

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Mansplaining is a pejorative term meaning " to comment on or explain something to a woman in a condescending, overconfident, and often inaccurate or oversimplified manner". Author Rebecca Solnit ascribes the phenomenon to a combination of "overconfidence and cluelessness". Wikipedia

Oh, for sure I recognize THAT!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Well now, don't y'all worry your pretty little heads about it. Big Grin

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to limit myself to the word "splaining," which I use for the condescending-explaining-in-a-smug-voice that most people are referencing when they say "mansplaining."

It's not that I've never been on the receiving end of splaining done by men. It's just that by dropping the "man" from "mansplaining," I acknowledge that a woman can splain, and sometimes that woman is me. Smiler

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

G r o a n .....

But good comeback!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Speaking of "I Love Lucy," I believe it was Ricky Ricardo who gave us the root of the word: "splaining." (And Lucy often mocked him for his pronunciation.)

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
An excellent realization! I believe you are correct. Big Grin

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

Bravery or...?

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
WTF is chickparking?
Maybe some man can 'spla...

... oh, never mind.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
It's not that men load the dishwasher wrong.

It's that they load it inconsistently.

Can we just have a system, based on the rack and the size/shape of our dishes? Don't just open it and put stuff any old place. This requires me to come behind you and re-organize.

I don't even insist that you do it my way -- even though we had a conference about it and we agreed that the way I suggested was the most practical and yielded the best way.

Let's just agree on a way -- your way -- and then stick to it.

Cindy -- who is currently on strike and is refusing to load the dishwasher until we agree on *any* sort of system

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post