well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    George H. W. Bush, 1924-2018
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

George H. W. Bush, 1924-2018
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted

Posts: 30211 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10766 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t it be interesting if W and JEB uninvited Individual 1 to the memorial service, like McCain’s family did?

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

When a door closes, a can of worms opens.

Posts: 26492 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post

Posts: 30211 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit uncomfortable with the sudden rush to canonize politicians upon their death. There is no one who didn't run afoul of someone or other in their life as a public servant.

That said, I do send condolences and wish peace to the Bush family. I didn't always agree with his politics, but he was a man I respected a great deal.

Posts: 31661 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I'm a bit uncomfortable with the sudden rush to canonize politicians upon their death.

I think it’s because it brings into focus the contrast with the current occupant. Even still, it usually only lasts about a week.

Republican Party identification has begun requiring intellectual vacuity.

-- Jennifer Rubin (she's a conservative for those who don't read much)
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Bush & Dana Carvey

Money line:

quote:
In the current political climate, one cannot reasonably imagine President Trump inviting Alec Baldwin, who skewers him on SNL, to the White House. Everything is meaner now. What feels like satire is actually an attack.

Many of Carvey's lines were written by .... Al Franken.

Posts: 7678 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of well-tempered gardener
posted Hide Post
How it ended.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/1...-bush-last-days.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 22719 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican Party identification has begun requiring intellectual vacuity.

-- Jennifer Rubin (she's a conservative for those who don't read much)
Beatification Candidate
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
How it ended.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/1...-bush-last-days.html

What a blessing to have friends and family like that ...

quote:
His longtime friend and former secretary of state, James A. Baker III, arrived at his Houston home on Friday morning to check on him.

Mr. Bush suddenly grew alert, his eyes wide open.

“Where are we going, Bake?” he asked.

“We’re going to heaven,” Mr. Baker answered.

“That’s where I want to go,” Mr. Bush said.

Barely 13 hours later, Mr. Bush was dead.

quote:
Mr. Baker held Mr. Bush’s hand and rubbed his feet for nearly a half-hour. The other children, who live around the country, were called so they could tell their father goodbye.

Dr. Levenson, who arrived at 9:15 p.m., led those in the room in prayer. “We all knelt around him and placed our hands on him and prayed for him and it was a very graceful, gentle death,” he said. “It was very evident that that man was so deeply loved.”

There was no struggle, no prolonged period of labored breathing. At 10:10 p.m., the former president slipped away.

“If those things could be sweet,” Mr. Baker said, “it was sweet.”

Posts: 7678 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
It’s a Disgrace to Celebrate George H.W. Bush on World AIDS Day

Slogan for ANYONE running against 45 in 2 years (Republicans included): “Hindsight 2020”

Posts: 20311 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Indeed.

I am not interested in saying bad things about his at this point, but also I'm not interested in pretending he was something he wasn't.

Yes, we could wax rhapsodical if we start comparing him to the current resident of the WH, but that is just about the lowest bar imaginable.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 11601 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

Indeed.

I am not interested in saying bad things about his at this point, but also I'm not interested in pretending he was something he wasn't.

Yes, we could wax rhapsodical if we start comparing him to the current resident of the WH, but that is just about the lowest bar imaginable.

Hear, hear.

Posts: 20712 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
"Glenn Greenwald

Verified account

@ggreenwald
2h2 hours ago
More Glenn Greenwald Retweeted Christian Christensen
The solemn ritual of converting political leaders into noble deities upon death - with media hagiography, collective reverence, and coerced suppression of criticism & evil acts - is creepy, nationalistic and toxic. The US does it worse than than Romans did https://www.theguardian.com/…/...hatcher-death-etiqu…
Worse than the Romans and much like what was done with Chairman Mao for a while.

Thatcher

Slogan for ANYONE running against 45 in 2 years (Republicans included): “Hindsight 2020”

Posts: 20311 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Greenwald would have trouble telling the time without being wrong.

Comparing a day or two of reflection to the Chinese treatment of Mao?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
"He left the presidency having paved the way for his own son’s even more anti-LGBTQ administration, firmly ensconcing religious conservative power within the party." -- @MSignorile