well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Calling WTF jewellers and metallurgists

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling WTF jewellers and metallurgists
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
This bracelet belonged to my Mom. It was a gift to her from my Dad, I think before they were married. Not sure if he bought it in Europe (likely Germany) or if it was purchased after they came to the US.

I'm trying to figure out what metals it's made of, and also where it might have originated . I thought it might be silver, but the back of the bracelet shows no signs of tarnish. It hasn't been cleaned.

The rose color metal is the real question mark. I thought it might be some kind of rose gold plating but it doesn't show signs of wearing through to the underlying metal. It was literally an "every day" bracelet that she put on in the morning and took off at night. It didn't get babied. There are some small scratches in the rose color areas but the color is uniform and not worn like well-used plated things tend to get.

Anyway, not sure this is in anyone's wheelhouse, but any ideas are much appreciated!

And if anyone has ideas for how to take better photos with a crummy phone, let me know....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I can't help with the materials, but you might try taking a photo outside in the shade, and if you have an iPhone, use portrait mode?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Where is Kenny when you need him ... Confused

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
No hallmark anywhere?

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There are what look like three very tiny marks on the back of the clasp but I can't make them out, even to see if they are numbers or some kind of symbols. They're very well worn; Mom wore this daily for decades.

I tried looking at them with a magnifying glass and also using the camera on the phone as a magnifier. No luck yet.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I monkeyed around some more using the phone as a magnifier. Looked like there is a three digit number, 835, on the clasp. So I decided to do a search for 835 silver.

quote:
The stamp “835” imprinted on silver is the code for silver items produced in the countries of Belgium, Austria, the Netherlands, Germany and Portugal. The imprint is indicative of the purity of the silver contained in the item.

https://www.reference.com/busi...ver-3670bac87268599d

No other identifying marks that I can find. But seems probable that it was purchased while they were still in Germany.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Often that’s all you get, the numbers that tell you the purity if the silver. It’s a nice bracelet.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Yes, that’s very pretty! Wear it and enjoy it.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Citrine?

Posts: 24602 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My photo is pretty bad...the rose gold-colored ovals are metal rather than any kind of gemstone.

I have to admit it's not really my style jewelry. Actually, I pretty much stopped wearing jewelry quite a while ago. It's just reminds me of Mom and childhood and is more of a precious pimento....

Bazootiehead-in-training