well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Amazon is building a huge ad business because they know what you buy

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon is building a huge ad business because they know what you buy
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Sorry, another NYT piece....

quote:
When a chain of physical therapy centers wanted new patients, it aimed online ads at people near its offices who had bought knee braces recently on Amazon.

When a financial services provider wanted to promote its retirement advisory business, it directed ads to people in their 40s and 50s who had recently ordered a personal finance book from Amazon.

And when a major credit card company wanted new customers, it targeted people who used cards from other banks on the retail site.

The advertisers found those people by using Amazon’s advertising services, which leverage what the company knows better than anyone: consumers’ online buying habits.

“Amazon has really straightforward database — they know what I buy,” said Daniel Knijnik, co-founder of Quartile Digital, an Amazon-focused ad agency that oversaw the ads for the clinics and retirement services. “For an advertiser, that’s a dream.”

Ads sold by Amazon, once a limited offering at the company, can now be considered a third major pillar of its business, along with e-commerce and cloud computing. Amazon’s advertising business is worth about $125 billion, more than Nike or IBM, Morgan Stanley estimates. At its core are ads placed on Amazon.com by makers of toilet paper or soap that want to appear near product search results on the site.

But many ad agencies are particularly excited by another area of advertising that is less obvious to many consumers. The company has been steadily expanding its business of selling video or display ads — the square and rectangular ads on sites across the web — and gaining ground on the industry leaders, Google and Facebook.

In addition to knowing what people buy, Amazon also knows where people live, because they provide delivery addresses, and which credit cards they use. It knows how old their children are from their baby registries, and who has a cold, right now, from cough syrup ordered for two-hour delivery. And the company has been expanding a self-service option for ad agencies and brands to take advantage of its data on shoppers.

“That is where the insane scale can happen for the business,” said John Denny, a vice president at CAVU Venture Partners, which invests in consumer brands like Bulletproof coffee and Hippeas chickpea puffs.

quote:
It not only finds those customers, but Amazon automatically shows different ads to different people based on their shopping behavior. People who do a lot of research on products may see an ad that features positive product reviews, whereas those who have signed up for regular deliveries of other products in the past might see an ad offering a discount for those who “Subscribe & Save.”

“Early tests are showing this is insanely powerful,” Mr. Denny said. “They can do this and nobody else can come close.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...ads-advertising.html

Clearly I'm fascinated by the power of data gathering with the intention of influencing people. The early applications are in marketing products and services. What will they go after next? Eeker

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what Amazon is selling. I don't see any ads on their site other than "recommended for you", which is a rehash of things I have already bought and no longer need. Amazon may forbid using ad blocking software at some point but until they do a lot of companies are wasting a whole lot of money. Ditto Facebook.

OTOH, there is one new recommendation I have never seen and may have been prompted by my reading an article about the Cov Cat students at the rally over the weekend.

They think I might want to buy a MAGA hat. hysteric

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There are sponsored links I've seen that aren't blocked by Adblock Plus. I'm guessing those may be the spots they're selling. Different from "Recommended for you".

They are also selling information about their customers to be used outside of Amazon. You bought a knee brace? We sell your name to the therapy place.

Can't wait to see a photo of you in your MAGA hat.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
Can't wait to see a photo of you in your MAGA hat.

You'd better hope they don't start showing me ads for Speedos. (And if they do it means they monitor this forum).

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
...because why wouldn't they?

Their algorithms think I want to buy Casio watches...

and something called Van Cleef & Arpels jewelry.

I plead guilty.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The wave of the future. Technically, of the past. This has been going on for awhile, from what I can tell.

Does anyone remember that creepy movie starring Tom Cruise, "Minority Report," where he walked through a mall and there were all sorts of interactive ads that popped up, hologram style, directed just to him? All we need is the microchip embedded on you somewhere (or your phone's GPS could probably work) and the holograms and we're there today.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
At present, the bulk of the ads are misses. As Steve notes, what you bought yesterday may not be a good signal of what you'll buy today or tomorrow. And at present this process is not likely to create new markets for firms. That involves the much older process of convincing people to examine a product or service that they have never thought of before, and which may be quite new. Maybe big data can hasten getting to that point, but we're not there yet, and there are big obstacles in the way of linking past choices to future actions (causality).

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post