well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Household Hints and Hacks
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Household Hints and Hacks
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
HE liquid laundry detergent is pretty much required by modern laundry equipment. That’s fine but you end up with a soapy measuring cup that needs to be rinsed out before you screw it back on the jug.

Don’t rinse it out. Throw it in with the laundry. Retrieve it when you pull the clothes to put them in the dryer.

It will be nice and clean.

Keep it going…

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34827 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Genius!

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I have a front loading washer that has a pull out try into which I pour detergent. No plastic cup needed in the first place. Shrug

But I like the idea if indeed you need to use a plastic cup. ThumbsUp

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12679 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
You must buy your detergent in smaller jugs than we do. I couldn’t lift the jug that high - at least not lift it and push the button at the same time. The drawer is at some 5’ off the floor.

Posts: 34827 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Use that same detergent to lift oil spots from concrete floors

Pour on full strength, add a little water and push it around bit, then let it sit for an hour or two.

I was amazed by how well it worked.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Ditch the messy powdered graphite for locks. Use Teflon or PTFE "dry spray" instead for lubrication. No residue to attract dust and get gummy later.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Tide HE powder here. Some repair guy told us it was less likely to leave gunk in the washer innards to get stinky smelling.

I don't think this is the direction Steve thought this would go - Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
HE liquid laundry detergent is pretty much required by modern laundry equipment. That’s fine but you end up with a soapy measuring cup that needs to be rinsed out before you screw it back on the jug.

Don’t rinse it out. Throw it in with the laundry. Retrieve it when you pull the clothes to put them in the dryer.

It will be nice and clean.

Keep it going…

Huh. I just pour the detergent directly into the dispenser. No need for a cup. Mine would def end up in the dryer!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21302 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
I buy the Aldi’s brand liquid detergent called Tandil. I use a glass measuring cup rather than use the container’s cap for measuring. A glass measuring cup can’t be placed into a washer. There’s a problem with the Tandil container’s cap. I wrote a letter to Aldi’s once to point this out. They responded to it saying they’ll look into it but I’ve never heard anything else about it since then.

Currently, Tandil’s label directions state to pour detergent to the second line of the container’s cap for regular loads and more for larger loads. There are five lines corresponding to five numbers on the interior side of the cap. The problem is the lines and numbers are hard to distinguish.

Tandil’s label directions should state an ounces unit of measure to pour into a measuring cup in addition to more distinguishable lines and numbers on the cap.

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Just thought I’d post this because of the ingenious container. I have used it for woolens but never figured out how the measurement cup works till I researched it today.

You remove the cap from the measuring cup and gently squeeze the center of the bottle. The liquid moves up the column on the side and fills the measuring cup! No mess!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13776 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Clever!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Watched a YouTube video where the guy mashed up the hamburger he was frying up to make tacos. He used a potato masher to get the pebbly texture you want for tacos.

I’ve always wondered how you get that texture.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried those laundry sheets? Not dryer sheets, these are soap sheets that dissolve during the wash.

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Have seen commercials for them and thought about trying them, but didn’t after reading the Consumer Reports review.

https://www.consumerreports.or...-review-a8916087070/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Earth Breeze sheets - they seem to work fine for us and get the "boy smell" out of clothes better than some others.

Then again, we don't have many heavily stained things to wash that the CR tests use!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post