well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Calling WTF entomologists
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling WTF entomologists
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I found this object on the carpet and couldn't figure out what it was. It felt kind of waxy and hard. I set it aside to show to Mr wtg. When he came in the kitchen a few minutes later I couldn't find it. That's because it had walked away.

I've never seen anything like it.

Dorsal view:

Ventral:

There's no way it can flip over if it's on its back. It's about half an inch long.

What the heck is it?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Um, I think that's a very well fed tick ...

Please shrink the image down.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Holy carp, P*D. You're right. Ticks aren't usually a problem around here, so I had no idea what they look like after they've eaten.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought it was, too.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yes, definitely a tick. Eeew. Check your furry friends and make sure they don't have any in their coats.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Good opportunity to check out your creme brulee torch.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
OMG. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

We sometimes come across bugs we can't identify. Mr Sk is very dedicated to catch and release, he has an old deli container set aside for that specific purpose. And he's pretty cavalier about it most of the time....

this is a reminder to maybe be a little more wary. Blink

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So after some research I'm pretty certain it's a dog tick and not a deer tick. The head and legs of a deer tick are black; the dog tick has reddish brown legs and a distinctive pattern around the head. There's a free tick identification service through East Stroudsburg University in Pennsylvia. I sent them the pics.

It's a very cool site. You can see by state how many deer ticks and non-deer ticks they've tested, and what percentage of the ticks tested were infected with various pathogens. (click on Stats at the top of the page)

https://www.ticklab.org/

Ugly little beggar.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Deer ticks are small. Dog ticks are gigantic by comparison.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought, but I read on one site that the engorged females of both species can get up to half in inch in length, so I wasn't sure.

We've been dog owners for more than 40 years and this is the first time I've seen an engorged tick. About ten years ago I spotted a tick just hopping on for the ride on the front leg of one of my goldens. And maybe twenty years ago found one that hadn't yet started snacking on the tummy of a Newf. And I've never been the camping type so haven't run into them in the wild.

I don't get out much. suave

Thanks to all for the quick ID!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Stop bugging me. Razzer

We have so much pesticide sprayed, I think we're limited to three or four small cockroaches a week. They go out however they come in.

Hard no on spraying pesticide in the house.

Posts: 24714 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Good opportunity to check out your creme brulee torch.

Big Grin Big Grin

Have not seen a tick in years.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
… it's a dog tick and not a deer tick.
Certainly looks that way to me.
I have had the rather unpleasant experience of pulling many such creatures off dogs in the past. GoneMad

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
From the National Geographic newsletter:
"Tick-borne diseases have reached 'epidemic proportions.' Here's what you should know.
These tiny, spider-like arthropods transmit agents causing at least 16 diseases in the U.S., and many more worldwide. In the U.S.—where Lyme disease alone infects nearly 500,000 people each year—infections have more than doubled since 2004. Among the symptoms patients struggle with: long-term memory problems, overwhelming fatigue, and even red-meat allergies.
SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE
LONE STAR TICK: The tick that could make you allergic to meat is spreading +"

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
… it's a dog tick and not a deer tick.
Certainly looks that way to me.
I have had the rather unpleasant experience of pulling many such creatures off dogs in the past. GoneMad

It's an even more unpleasant task pulling them out of your own body, especially if they are buried in ... certain locations!