well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I try to resist stories like this, but this one penetrated and touched my soul

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I try to resist stories like this, but this one penetrated and touched my soul
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
A young beggar in Kenya empathized with a sick driver to whom he appealed for help, and (OK, for a change, thank you, Internet) the world repaid him and the driver for his kindness.

Reminded me of Stalin's probably apochryphal observation (paraphrase) that "the deaths of a million is a statistic; while the death of a single man is a tragedy." If only every tragedy could touch us, as in the famous anecdote about the little boy rescuing one by one starfish drying out on the seashore. As many as he could, anyhow (after a passerby ridiculed him for his "useless" charity), he explained that at least, it would make a difference to the ones he managed to toss back into the ocean.

https://www.psychologytoday.co...ne-million-statistic

How a single realization of the suffering of a stranger can change the world

In Judaism (and not only) it's said, "the saving of a single life can (if neccessary) justify breaking all the commandments" A golden example, though it doesn't involve any erstwhile "sinning".

Pikuakh Nefesh

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I must resist. I feel half way between exhausted and sedated.

Comfort

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post