well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Alien Vegetable

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alien Vegetable
 Login/Join

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted
Kohlrabi is kind of an alien looking vegetable. It has multiple stems growing out of the top of the bulb like tentacles and connects to a leafy part.

I saw some at a local farmers market. Never tasted it before. They came in bunches of three so I bought one bunch just out of curiosity. I boiled one of them revealing a crunchy texture with not much of a taste.

I don’t see chain supermarkets carrying it. I’ve never seen a restaurant serve it.

So what’s kohlrabi good for? Any good ways to prepare it?

Posts: 1410 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
One of our favorite raw veggies - peel and slice. Excellent crunch!

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
You can treat it like cabbage or broccoli stems.

I've grated it and used it for coleslaw, which was tasty, and I've eaten it raw with dip.

I want to try julienning it, or perhaps cutting it into slightly bigger toothpicks than julienne, then sauteeing or roasting it until it's crispy around the edges. I think that would be good.

I've got some purple kohlrabi plants started out in the garden. I've never grown it, so I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15496 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
My mom grew this every summer while I was young - perhaps that's why I'm familiar with it. It likes water, or it gets "woody" and more bitter. We snacked on it like celery or carrot sticks.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post