well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Breaches Everywhere

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaches Everywhere
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
That is frightening.
Can see and walk to the Mississippi River Levee from 75% of my farmland and the two houses.
They are south of Cairo and Bird's Point.
The levee at Bird's Point was breeched by the Army Corp of Engineers in 1937 and 2011. That area was designated for the purpose of saving Cairo.
There are plastic pipes in the levee. Explosives will be put in them to breach the levee if the water gets too high (I hope).
If the river breaches the levee below that I could lose crops.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Obviously, the current levee system is not adequate. Farming and inhabiting those areas is no longer viable.

The number $80Bil is on the table. Not sure how that compares to the value of crops coming off of that land.

Who pays to fix it? Why?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We drove from DC to Phoenix in July 1993, just after another one of those huge breaching floods where both the Missouri and Mississippi overran their banks. We drive in to St. Louis on I-74, and the area around the interstate was flooded for miles and miles. We were driving over/around standing water for at least 45 minutes, maybe longer.

It was really something to see. Great flood of 1993

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post