well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    PBS series on Reconstruction

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PBS series on Reconstruction
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Haven't seen it so can't say whether it's good, but PBS series are usually a good bet.

I plan to catch up on the episodes that have already aired.

https://www.pbs.org/weta/reconstruction/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I used to study this era and at one time had a goal of writing an historical novel based on the period.

Eric Foner at Columbia has the best books on it, one of which is included in the Oxford History of the United States. I was a little disappointed not to see him named as involved in the project. Maybe he’s getting old though.

But it looks interesting. I’ll check it out.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Foner is one of the historians in the series. Also Kimberle Crenshaw and Stephen Hahn.

Edit: Add Martha Jones.
And Edward Ayers.

I’ll stop here...I’m like 12 minutes in to the first episode and all these historians keep popping up...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Foner is one of the historians in the series. Also Kimberle Crenshaw and Stephen Hahn.

That’s kind of funny. Both names seem unlikely to me. One is a critical race theorist and the other is the head of the FDA! lol

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It’s Steven, not Stephen. My error.

Bazootiehead-in-training