well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    WHAT a man! Super humane federal Judge retiring at 98

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHAT a man! Super humane federal Judge retiring at 98
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
He was famous among many other worthy causes, for his dedication to sentence reform.

quote:
How would you like to see your legacy described?

I would like to be remembered for trying to work with individuals to help them avoid the life-killing environment of prisons and to save them for a life with relatives and friends, with a job, and with the opportunity to lead a lawful life. Partly by reducing sentences to the extent possible, partly by reducing supervised release and partly by getting them out into the real world. It’s on a one-to-one basis that I see myself operating — the judge to the individual defendant.

I'm inspired also by his post-retirement plans - for him and his newly retired physican son to take university courses together. Subject? The evolution of Jim Crowism.

He recognized he might no longer be able to follow a case as well as before

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
NYT paywall.

That said, I know this guy’s story and admire the hell out of him.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I was once on a jury on a narcotics case where he was the judge.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m convinced that we will come together. It’s essentially a good country made up of people who will fight for what’s right.

The judge was born the same year as my father. I have wondered what my dad would have said about the age of Trump. I think he would have been a lot more cynical than judge Weinstein. But I'll gladly take this viewpoint as a stand in.

Going for a master's degree at age 98! My hero! I want to be judge Weinstein when I grow up.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I was once on a jury on a narcotics case where he was the judge.

Your impressions?

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

Your impressions?

Well, it was some 20 years ago, so I don't remember a lot. A fairly long trial of a drug kingpin or large-scale trafficker. Kilos of heroin or cocaine were on exhibit on the prosecutor's table.

The jury did not reach a verdict. I think there were one or two undecided. Afterward, Weinstein reamed us out for not convicting on what he said was a clear guilty. But the defendant had really good lawyers too, so...there ya go. I'm sure there was a retrial later.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I’m convinced that we will come together. It’s essentially a good country made up of people who will fight for what’s right.

The judge was born the same year as my father. I have wondered what my dad would have said about the age of Trump. I think he would have been a lot more cynical than judge Weinstein. But I'll gladly take this viewpoint as a stand in.

Going for a master's degree at age 98! My hero!

I want to be judge Weinstein when I grow up.

I wonder the same thing about my father apparently born a year before yours. I really wish I could discuss things with him!

(Wondering, though, whether his cognitive status would have worn well over the years even if his body had held up. After all, his wife my mother, is not capable of conversation at almost 97. Or for that matter, even consistently remembering the names of her children and grandchildren.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
quote:
quote:

Going for a master's degree at age 98! My hero!

I want to be judge Weinstein when I grow up.

I wonder the same thing about my father apparently born a year before yours. I really wish I could discuss things with him!

(Wondering, though, whether his cognitive status would have worn well over the years even if his body had held up. After all, his wife my mother, is not capable of conversation at almost 97. Or for that matter, even consistently remembering the names of her children and grandchildren.)

As the daughters of larger-than-life dads, I guess that compass never really goes away. I have often thought I am glad my father never lived to see this presidency. It would have caused him enormous pain.