well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What's for dinner?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's for dinner?
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
A simple one pan weeknight meal. It’s from a Martha Stewart recipe book called One Pot. We had it with a green salad with a simple vinaigrette.

Skillet Shrimp and Orzo

Ingredients

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

6 garlic cloves, minced

3 cups halved grape tomatoes (about 1 pound)

Coarse salt and ground pepper

3/4 pound orzo

3 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined

1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn

Step 1
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with rack in top position. In a large broilerproof skillet, heat 5 teaspoons oil over medium. Add garlic and cook until just beginning to brown, 1 minute. Increase heat to high and add tomatoes; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 minutes. Add orzo and broth and bring to a simmer. Cover, transfer to oven, and bake until liquid is mostly absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes.

Step 2
Toss shrimp with 1 teaspoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Remove skillet from oven and place shrimp on top of orzo. Heat broiler. Broil until shrimp are opaque throughout, 4 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve.

I made this today and we both really liked it. I did a few riffs, well, just because.

1. I can't do a lot of garlic, so I used a small onion, chopped, instead.

2. I had purchased some of Steve's Better Than Bouillon Lobster Base, so I used some of that to make 3 1/4 cups of water into lobster stock. Very nice!

3. I chopped up one huge leaf of bok choy and threw it in with the tomatoes when they were cooking. We had a ton of ripe little tomatoes that we harvested from the garden a few weeks ago. Delish.

4. Didn't broil the shrimp, instead I tossed it into the pan after the initial oven bake and stirred it in to the hot orzo/tomatoes/etc. Stuck the pan back in the oven for a few minutes while the shrimp cooked.

5. Didn't have any basil, but did have some basil pesto in the freezer. A dollop or two on top of each serving worked well.

6. Also added a sprinkling of crumbled feta. Added a nice touch.

Nice additions! I love the pesto idea - perfect for when basil is out of season and expensive! We can get it locally in all but deep winter since they grow it in the greenhouses, but the price is still higher than I’d like!

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It also occurred to me that one could add some leftover cooked chicken and/or some cooked andouille sausage to the recipe. Jambalaya-esque!

Thanks again for posting it. It is easy, quick, and delicious.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Vinegar Chicken With Crushed Olive Dressing

https://www.alisoneroman.com/r...ushed-olive-dressing

With herbed angel hair as the side. Chicken is in the oven.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13548 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

Yowza! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I made a composite recipe this evening. A nice Pozole with dried organic hominy from New Mexico, the kind that's dry and needs to be soaked overnight. I used a good cut of Boston Butt for the pork in it.

Pozole Rojo

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

Yowza! ThumbsUp

It was actually a very easy dish. Tasty too. I cut the recipe in half and it worked just fine.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13548 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
We had a recipe from Jamie Oliver’s new book tonight and it was fantastic!

Roasted Mushroom Salad

Ingredients

8 small portobello mushrooms
2 pears
80 g (3 oz) blue cheese
2 tablespoons shelled unsalted walnut halves (we used pine nuts instead)
1 lemon
80 g (3 oz) radishes
2 x 250g packets of cooked basmati & wild rice
80 g bag of watercress, spinach & arugula (we did a spinach arugula blend)

Method

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Peel the mushrooms, saving the peel, and place them in a large roasting tray. Quarter and core the pears, add to the tray and dress with 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and red wine vinegar, then season with sea salt and black pepper. Turn the mushrooms stalk side up, then roast for 30 minutes. Crumble over the blue cheese and walnuts, and roast for another 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, finely grate the lemon zest into a bowl, squeeze in the juice, then finely slice and add the radishes. Add a pinch of salt and scrunch to quickly pickle. Heat the rice in the microwave according to the packet instructions, then tip on to a serving platter. Finely chop the mushroom peel and salad leaves, stir through the rice with the dressed radishes, then season to perfection. Sit the roasted mushrooms and pears on top, spoon over any juices from the tray, and serve with a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if you like.

My notes: Next time I won’t put the blue cheese on until I take it out of the oven. It was good, but our preference is to not have it melty. We did use precooked rice, but next time we will likely just cook our own rice separately. I don’t mind a good shortcut but here it is wildly expensive and comes in these little plastic containers rather than the pouch they sell it in in the UK. It would be fine with brown rice though the nuttiness of the wild rice was lovely.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post