well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Anybody else upset that the moderator made no apparent use of the mute button?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody else upset that the moderator made no apparent use of the mute button?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Trump kept effectively interrupting and talking over Biden, stealing more than his allotted time.

Was she afraid to use it, or what?

The only benefit of having it available, must have been the candidates' awareness of its existence. That is, the candidate's (singular) awareness.

He mastered the art of gaming the system (yet once more) so he could express gripes or contradictions when he didn't like what Biden said. The TV audience heard him too.

It MUST be a daunting job to have to moderate between two such powerful men, "Mr. President" especially, but SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO DO IT!

Oh well, at least she asked hard-hitting questions.

PS Did anybody notice any apparent use of the mute? Like Trump moving as if to speak only with nothing coming out?

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
The mute was only for the initial 2 minute answers. The debate commission controlled it; the moderator wasn’t supposed to control it.

I think she did a pretty good job, considering!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
She did a great job!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Trump repeatedly talked over her.

I think he was given more airtime too.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
No lack of pundits declared the Moderator the debate’s winner! Big Grin

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I only watched about 3 minutes, but I thought she (moderator) did fine. I think the entire debate structure needs a major overhaul, and in particular the number need to be reduced.

Does anyone learn anything new by the 3+th debate, regardless of election or candidate?

Also ratings were low, which has got to get under Donny's skin.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Whoa! I'm not saying she didn't do a good job. On the contrary, she was head and shoulders above her predecessors and as I said, she zapped them with challenging questions.

I was just quite disappointed to see that much wished for mute button out of action. It would have been SO gratifying to see HWMNBN's jaws flapping in silence when he insisted on having the last word, "telling it like is 'is' " etc.

It was THE golden opportunity and it didn't happen. Guess it will remain an unfulfilled wish in this lifetime.

(And he DID violate the rules in those two minute answer slots, although your point is well taken, Adagio).

What good are rules (here of debate), if there is no enforcement? Trump would have been penalized right off any HS debate team.

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post