well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Would you do this to your dinner guests?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you do this to your dinner guests?
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
(facebook link) Ummm, no.

So many cringe-worthy things in this, starting with the kitchen counter as food trough and ending with the breathless gasps of amazement from the commentator.

I don't know why this bugs me so much, but it does.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That's ridiculous. All so you don't have to clean a few bowls?

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Nekulturny.

Why not just do it in the bathtub? Then it won't fall off the edge and you can rinse it out.

Not to mention who serves Prego to guests?

This from Mik, who served spaghetti to guests last night. In bowls. With silverware. And napkins. All the affectations of the Western civilized.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I would never serve guests that way.

However, this would be pretty typical when I’m home by myself eating dinner…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not to mention who serves Prego to guests

Or to self?

That was my first problem. But also, no, just no to the counter top thing. Yuck.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
“I’m Italian; this is what Italians do.”

Um, no. Prego, pre-fab parm, pre-fab salad dressing? I’m pretty grossed out by this! Are people supposed to drop their face into the counter, or do they get to use bowls/plates? Is that at all warm?

Ugh.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

But also, no, just no to the counter top thing.
But I'll consider it if they line the counter top with a layer of food grade wax paper. party

In terms of convenience, though, it still won't beat just throwing each guess a dinner roll and a juice pack.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I’m Italian; this is what Italians do.”

Roll Eyes

I watched it with the sound off so I missed that.

Also I’m Italian-American, and I can assure you, this is not what Italians do.

If she’s really Italian, her grandmother is probably very upset right about now ...

I’m pretty sure if I even suggested something like that my grandmother would have come chasing after me with a wooden spoon. Big Grin

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Ax-
"In terms of convenience, though, it still won't beat just throwing each guest a dinner roll and a juice pack."
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It reminds me if one of those boiled dinners where they dump the whole pot on butcher paper laid out on a table.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
It reminds me if one of those boiled dinners where they dump the whole pot on butcher paper laid out on a table.

Those are really fun!

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

I have never heard of this. What is a "boiled dinner"?

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Louisiana Crawfish Boil recipe

Super fun way to feed a crowd.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I've ever had a boiled dinner, but what you're describing sounds a bit like a New England Clambake or lobsterbake, which are beyond fabulous.

I've never made the food, just been the ecstatic recipient. From what I recall, you somehow pile up a bunch of clams, corn, little red potatoes into a big foil wrapper and either steam or somehow cook them up over charcoal. There may be digging involved. If you have lobsters I guess you do boil them, but maybe not.

At any rate, to serve you just haul out the big foil package, open it and people serve themselves out of it. Lobsters are on the side in a big tub.

Add beer or soda, watermelon for dessert and you have perfection. Best eaten in a bathing suit next to a lake, so you can jump in and wash yourself off when done. Smiler

(waiting for JF to tell us all how it's really done Big Grin )

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Nina, sounds like your description is good. I tend to do the whole thing in my kitchen. Just thinking today it was time for the first lobster of the season.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post