well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hey East Coasters!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey East Coasters!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Are you surviving the hurricane OK?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, the thing basically went right over my house around 5:00 A.M. Big Grin

At 4-something the phone rang with "tornado warning." A few minutes later, my cell phone went off with, "tornado warning!" As far as I can tell, we had no tornado, and really not all that much wind. A few stiff gusts of 40-50 MPH, but that's about all. We did not go into a closet. The weather channel did not corroborate any serious tornado trouble.

From around sunset last night till early morning, however, the heavens were open. I don't know how many inches we got, but it was a goodly number. My wife and I wandered down to the stream/wetland at the head of my neighborhood. It was quite full. We met someone who was taking video, and who had been there right as the storm finished the rain dump. Apparently water levels were REALLY high, though they did not overtop the little bridge there.

No power outage at my place.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
We got 7.5" according to the rain gauge in the yard.

Tornado warning and an "imminent threat seek shelter now" text at around 11am, so we spent a half hour in the basement.

Tried to go shopping once it was over and the sun was out, and after driving around for an hour ended up going home - every road that led anywhere was flooded. Flooding on my street is still bad - there's a constant stream of cars going around the barricades, going down the hill, turning around at the flooded out bridge, and coming back up. I think people are still trying to figure out how to get home from work.

Power flickered a few times but stayed on, amazingly. We are usually the first to lose it and the last to get it back.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Power went out around 1 pm. IPhone almost out of power. Lighting from 4 oil lamps and 3 flashlights.

There’s a picture of me on Facebook playing piano by the light of an oil lamp. Too much trouble to post it here.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Nothing. We needed rain.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I am a bit west of LL so I did get about an hour of rain, then sun and very high winds.

I heard a noise last night, but this morning found my tomato pots tipped..thought that was it...

Till my neighbor on the other side pointed out a large branch had broken from her tree and landed on my roof. We worked to get some of the lower leaved branches cut to lighten it till the tree guy can come tomorrow to get it down. It is sitting on a V on another branch then stretching across to the roof...Once we got the lower branches off (from my second story window!), the whole thing moves much less in the wind. We are trying to prevent it from falling as it would hit the fence and my lovely privacy screen and porch.

My Mom and my Sister are in Central NJ. They have large trees and power lines down, no power till the weekend they are told. Frowner

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

Till my neighbor on the other side pointed out a large branch had broken from her tree and landed on my roof. We worked to get some of the lower leaved branches cut to lighten it till the tree guy can come tomorrow to get it down. It is sitting on a V on another branch then stretching across to the roof...Once we got the lower branches off (from my second story window!), the whole thing moves much less in the wind. We are trying to prevent it from falling as it would hit the fence and my lovely privacy screen and porch.

My Mom and my Sister are in Central NJ. They have large trees and power lines down, no power till the weekend they are told. Frowner

Oh dear...and probably deductible will make it cost out of your pocket...
Sorry to hear it...

And NJ and family...grrr...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post