well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Florida **** Sandwich

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida **** Sandwich
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
https://www.politico.com/state...re-for-trump-1271172

The gist of the story:

* Florida got hit by Covid-19 leading to lots of workers losing their jobs.

* Florida’s unemployment system (website and such, recently revamped with a $87 million price tag) makes it hard for people to file for unemployment and makes it hard for people to keep unemployment benefits; this leads to lots of who laid off people cannot get unemployment benefits

* Why? Because it’s deliberately designed that way by former governor Rick Scott to suppress unemployment numbers so the former governor could have something to brag about

Hence the “**** sandwich” metaphor.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Criminal.

I just read an article about the latest unemployment statistics, which have obviously gone up bigly. However, the number of unemployment claims (and unemployment overall) are not correlated strongly with COVID-19 hotspots. Claims in San Francisco, NYC, NJ are much lower than those in other states, particularly those that rely on tourism--like NV and, oops, Florida.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Yes, so maybe COVID-19 is exacerbating structural problem in the economy?

I don't know. I'm not an expert.

As for Rick Scott, his reputation precedes him. The man perpetrated the biggest Medicare fraud in history and then became the governor of Florida.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Scott should have been incarcerated long ago.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post