well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    New Decor..Do Tell

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Decor..Do Tell
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
Love it but not sure what I am looking at?

A ski slope in summer? Some former site of something?

I am craving the story!! Do tell!

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
+1

Posts: 24669 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Looks like abandoned power towers.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13529 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
You're looking at the fallen towers of the Kinzua viaduct in northern Pennsylvania. When the bridge was built, it was the highest (at 301 feet) railroad bridge in the world. The western end which you're seeing was blown down by a tornado in 2003. The remainder has been stabilized and now has a walkway to a viewing platform at the last standing tower, where the picture was taken. The bridge and surrounding area is a state park. Here is a link to the park's web page.

This was one stop we made on a recent road trip across northern Pennsylvania on US route 6. Other stops included the Zippo-Case museum in Bradford, the Pennsylvania Lumber Museum, Pennsylvania's grand canyon near Wellsboro, Grey Towers, the summer home of Gifford Pinchot outside of Milford, and various other scenic views, eating places, breweries and a birthday party.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7391 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Interesting.
Thought it might be leftovers from a mining operation.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25689 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That’s very cool looking.

I might be afraid to stand on that viewing platform!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9793 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
This is why this group is so interesting...the varied experiences that is shared...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Even though both Jon and I had better limericks, the decor pic is fab!

Wink

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I was going to guess that it was part of the (former) power grid in Puerto Rico.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30033 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
It looks phallic. (Now try to unsee that.)

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Big Al, I've heard of the RR bridge and always wanted to see it. Even if it's only half there.

Mrs. RP and I took a bicycle trip through northern PA many years ago. (Rt. 6 is damn hilly!) We remembered most the "grand canyon" and our stay in Wellsboro with its gas lamp-lit streets and turn-of-the-century buildings. Stayed at the old Penn Wells Hotel, a time capsule of gracious accommodation in times gone by. It somehow manages to be elegant in a non-fussy, rustic way.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13788 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post