well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Draining the liquor cabinet

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Draining the liquor cabinet
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We bought a bunch of very nice cognacs years ago from the owner of a restaurant we used to frequent. We got them at bargain basement prices. There are a couple of bottles still left and we decided we better drink them. Part of the downsizing project.... Big Grin

This is the last bottle of Martell Cordon Bleu that we have. Bought it in the 80s. Opened it a few days ago and it's still as heavenly as we remembered it.

We also have one bottle left of this pre-WWI cognac. It's totally amazing.

edit: Holy carp. I just looked up that second one. I think we paid $80 for the bottles we bought from Gunther....

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21015/lot/340/

quote:
"At the outbreak of World War I, the mobilized French growers walled up their cellars to preserve their treasure from German invasion. But, unfortunately many never returned. Privilege 'Reserve du Prince' originates in an exhumated cave. The inheritor insisted upon remaining anonymous for that was laid down in an undetermined time by his grandfather who disappeared in Verdun's battle in 1917. This was confirmed to us by the most respected and licensed appraisers in Cognac. After a long tasting, they all agreed that Privilege 'reserve du Prince had remained unviolated since it was stored in casks long before World War I."

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Cognac, you say? How about a little Steak au Poivre?

It’s my favorite entree at my new favorite restaurant up the street

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, the Martel retails for around $650 now ...

At the Whiskey Exchange

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Eeker

I had no idea.

And that was one of the cheaper ones...I think we paid maybe $30 for it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I didn't know you were a Cognac fan. I love the stuff. Once bought a 1950's Martell bottle that was spectacular. I think I paid $40 for it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yup. Armangac, too. It's a bit rougher around the edges than its cousin, but it has it's charm. Kind of like me. Big Grin

Among armagnacs, my favorite was Laressingle XO.

The restaurant owner was a bit crazy. If he didn't like you, you may as well not bother to set foot in his restaurant. If he did, well, you got top notch treatment. Everyone loves Mr wtg, so he got along gangbusters with Gunther. Gunther once said if the Russians were going to nuke the US, that he would invite Mr wtg over and they would drink through the collection he had stored in his basement.

Other faves of ours were Hardy Noces D'Or, and Delamain Vesper and Tres Venerables. There was another one, and I can't remember the producer's name. We bought it at Sam's Wines down in the city, and it was labeled "To my friends at The Sardine Factory". I later saw the same cognac with a different customized label. It was another great find and a good value. Wish I could remember who made it.

They weren't cheap booze back then, but the prices weren't in the stratosphere either. We never spent a ton of money on alcohol, but even we could afford some of these nice spirits. Not anymore.

Got any favorites to recommend?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I had a bottle of the Laressingle and it was just OK. Might not have been the XO.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Those cognacs sound amazing! Lucky you!

I used to love Armagnac. Then one day I just sort of lost the taste for it.

Lately I’ve been a single malt fan, and now I seem to be losing my enthusiasm for that too.

Late andropause?

Hope my interest in wine doesn’t disappear.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Kind of the same here, RP. These bottles are left over from the 80s/90s when we were drinking the stuff more regularly. I drank German white wines for a while, too, but haven't had a glass in years. Went through a bourbon phase but that's over, too.

Bazootiehead-in-training