well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Where have all the hot pads gone?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where have all the hot pads gone?
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Was at Costco a couple of days ago and saw this. I think they only had the blue at my Costco (it says assorted colors).

I didn't buy them because we're good on pot holders, but I'm almost tempted because I like the little pockets to stick your fingers in for the pot holders. And trivet would be nice.

And the price is right:

Oh, thanks for the heads up! I’ll look for those. I have mitts from two different sets (they each have a matching square pot holder), and they are stained with food but they’re the right size, shape, and thickness. I don’t wash them because they become too thin; everything mats down inside.

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9798 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I ordered some ove-gloves... I chose the BBQ ones because they cover more at the wrist.

I've got big hands, so we'll see!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've wanted to try Ove gloves, but didn't know what they were called. I'm definitely going to order some. Thanks, Jodi!

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I've been meaning to post these pics for months. These are at IKEA. They were between $1.50 and $2 each. They have quite a variety.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
We were given Ove Gloves once as a gift. They were too small for my hands, maybe work best for women’s hands. Unless they also come in a larger size, but I don’t think so.

Talk about sexist! You'd think with all the husbands/spouses just plain men cooking, supplies would have gone the other direction.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
When I was a kid, we made potholders with one of these kits that we got for Christmas. My mother and grandmother had potholders made this way for a long time. I wondered if the kits still existed and found them along with bags of the loops on Amazon.

Big Al

I got a set for my older son when he was a kid, and I was into retro toys. (Also got him key roller skates - the kind that screw onto shoe soles. Also real wooden Lincoln logs - instead of plastic and old erector sets with motors.)

Don't think he ever used any of them!

My mother must have had dozens of those kid-made hot pads.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
We were given Ove Gloves once as a gift. They were too small for my hands, maybe work best for women’s hands. Unless they also come in a larger size, but I don’t think so.

Talk about sexist! You'd think with the trend toward men (spouses/husbands) cooking the trend would have gone in the other direction.

But then again, from the hubbie who asked the thread question:

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I like those. Sent the link to Sharon.

But why? What made the market shift?

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I ordered some ove-gloves... I chose the BBQ ones because they cover more at the wrist.

I've got big hands, so we'll see!
I picked up some welding gloves at Harbor Freight. The ones I got have extra long gauntlets. Looks like the ones they sell now aren't quite so long. I eventually got a few pair. One is by the fireplace. One is in the camping equipment (for cooking over or rearranging the campfire), and one is out at the barbecue grill. I can pick up a burning log with them. They are $7.50 a pair. They aren't super grippy, so I'm not sure I would use them for pulling a pan of cookies out of the oven. But they are fine for wielding barbecue tools.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I've bought them at the grocery store and at Walmart within the past five years, so it would be a relatively recent change if you can't get them here any more.

Quirt likes the big mitts. I use them sometimes, since they're laying around, but I really prefer something like the flat square ones, because I can grab one up and use it one-handed. It takes time and usually a second hand to get the mitts on. Also, they sometimes hamper me when I'm doing something that requires dexterity.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Mrs pj made me a handful of these which are in various places around the house, more as absorbent doilies than hotpads. This one usually holds my water glass or my cup of tea.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com