well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Where have all the hot pads gone?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where have all the hot pads gone?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Can’t find square hot pads. They’re all mitts now and they don’t fit my freakishly large hands.

Suggestions?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
By hot pads, do you mean something to use when taking a pan out of the oven? Pot holders?

If yes, you can still get square pot holders. I have some some made of cloth, and some of the silicone ones.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
By hot pads, do you mean something to use when taking a pan out of the oven? Pot holders?

If yes, you can still get square pot holders. I have some some made of cloth, and some of the silicone ones.

Yes. Pot holders. Where do you find square ones?

They used to be as common as dirt.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Dollar stores have them here!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I have a lifetime supply of old ones so I haven't checked any stores lately. I bought the silicone ones probably 15 years ago at a gourmet cook shop up in Door County.

This style is kind of cool. They're made of cloth but have silicone nubs that grip the pan better.

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen...licone/dp/B07W369FR8

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I like those. Sent the link to Sharon.

But why? What made the market shift?

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I prefer the mitts, because I can’t accidentally burn my fingers like I do with the square hot pads. But the mitts do fit my hands.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Huh. I bought a stack of them at IKEA about ten or 15 years ago. It seems IKEA doesn't carry them anymore.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Strange. I have no problem finding square ones.

We got some from Amazon recently and the odd thing is how stiff and unyielding they are. They don’t want to conform to the shape of your hand, or pot handle, therefore tricky to use. Maybe they will soften up with use…so we hope.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
https://www.dollartree.com/kit...en-mitts-pot-holders

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I rarely use anything but these anymore. Ove-Gloves. The silicone strips are on both sides, so they fit either hand. Mr Jodi has huge hands and says “Ove-Gloves are the way to go”. Hot, heavy, difficult to carry things out of the lower oven are no big deal with these gloves, super grippy.

https://www.amazon.com/Ove-Glo...fQ%3D%3D&sr=8-1&th=1

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I'm with Mik - Dollar Tree seems to be the spot anymore. When he was a bachelor, Mr. Lisa bought some hideous apple printed ones at the local Acme grocery store and they were the bomb - perfect size, perfect thickness. When they wore out, we couldn't find anything exactly like them - things were too bulky or too big or they didn't wrap around the pot handles right or they were the all-silicone-plastic-y ones and I just hated how they felt or they were too thin and I burned my hands through them. Finally my mom gave me a hand-me-down set that she got as swag from some random political campaign so for like the next 10 years we had "Joe White - District Justice for All" potholders and those rivaled the apples in awesomeness but they also wore out. (You are getting the history of our 25 year marriage as told in potholders here!). We now have some ugly chef and wine bottle printed ones from the dollar tree and they are the closest we can find to the original Acme apples. They aren't quite as thick or durable as the apples were but they are the right size and they do the trick. You're right though - plain square potholders like the ones I remember hanging all over my grandmother's kitchen do seem to be a dying breed these days.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
We were given Ove Gloves once as a gift. They were too small for my hands, maybe work best for women’s hands. Unless they also come in a larger size, but I don’t think so.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Was at Costco a couple of days ago and saw this. I think they only had the blue at my Costco (it says assorted colors).

I didn't buy them because we're good on pot holders, but I'm almost tempted because I like the little pockets to stick your fingers in for the pot holders. And trivet would be nice.

And the price is right:

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, we made potholders with one of these kits that we got for Christmas. My mother and grandmother had potholders made this way for a long time. I wondered if the kits still existed and found them along with bags of the loops on Amazon.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7402 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post