Find
Notify
Tools

Radon
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
What do you know about Radon? Apparently it’s a thing here.

Is it a problem even if there is no basement? Get the inspection anyway?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34821 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's a thing here, too. I think it's more of a problem in houses with basements or crawls, but anywhere there's a way for the gas to get from the ground to your living space it could be a problem.

Some discussion on a forum for home inspectors:

https://www.inspectorsjournal....st-for-a-slab-house/

The test is not terribly expensive.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37725 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Radon's a problem where I lived in Florida and nobody has basements there. We had to install a mitigation system when we sold our home and the radon inspection came up positive.

I'd have a house I was buying in a radon area tested.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15502 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
There is reality, and there is perception.

I don't know the reality. I just know that home buyers care about it. For that reason alone, it matters.

Posts: 45722 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think there are real health implications.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4283434/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37725 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
o install a mitigation system

Is that something that goes primarily in the basement? Is it very expensive?

We had a radon test when we had our house inspected and it was within safe levels. But if I'm remembering right, it has a greater impact in the basement, right? And that's where Mr. SK's studio is, so I think we might want to get a radon mitigation system just to be on the safe side, since he spends so much time there...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18302 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Most tests are done in the basement because that's where concentrations are greatest; more expanded tests include above ground living areas. If your levels are within limits, not sure you need to do anything.

That said, a mitigation system around here runs $1200 - 1500 for a typical installation.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Guess I have radon. All granite foundations do.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
In a home without a basement, they set up the monitors in the rooms furthest from doors or windows that are frequently open. In our house, it was one of our kids' rooms. Imagine how we felt when we got a problematic reading.

That house had a cracked slab, although not in or near that room. I wondered whether the crack allowed the radon in the soil to get into the house.

The mitigation system was just a blower set up in a closet, vented out the roof with a PVC pipe. I've wondered whether it wasted enough conditioned air to be noticeable on a power bill.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15502 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The people that do the tests locally are the people
selling mitigation products.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25667 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
In Illinois, the company that does the test cannot do the mitigation.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Ugh..I made the mistake of suggesting testing it for school project.

Oldest had to do one, so we chose a practical one, did the test..."We're gonna die!" was his response..Several thousand dollars later, we were fine..MOST expensive school project EVVA!

It is a natural occurrence, comes from the ground..

In years past, some have freaked about granite counter tops as they emit radon as well..

Sigh..pick you poison..or just ignore it.. Roll Eyes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
My experience has been that the same inspector who does the general home inspection also does the radon test. The radon test, as an add-on, incurs additional fee on top of the general home inspection fee.

IIRC radon testing is not mandated by the states, though if a mortgage is involved, the mortgage company may insist on having one done anyway.

Assuming you are not being required to test for radon, personally I’d be OK with not doing it again if it has been done for the property before and the old test results are in acceptable range. It’s just another “peace of mind” thing.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12676 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
It's a thing here. We had to have our house radon tested as part of the sale, and have radon detectors (kind of like smoke detectors) in our basement. We are clear, but I think it may be in the building codes here, at least in our area.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure it’s only an issue if you have a basement living space. I do think it is a real health concern, so we had it tested here, even though the realtor said since we only have a crawl space, it wouldn’t test high in the house.(and it didn’t)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20404 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post