well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Important candy news

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Important candy news
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I think there are some fans of Necco wafers here.

quote:
America's favorite Valentine's Day candy won't be available this year.

Sweethearts, the conversation heart candy, is missing from shelves this Valentine's season after its original producer went out of business last year.

Even though consumers might think chocolate when it comes to buying a Valentine's gift for a loved one, Candystore.com reported that conversation hearts were the most popular candy for the holiday in 2018. The popularity of the candy didn't keep its original producer, New England Confectionary Company, also known as Necco, from going out of business in July.

Round Hill Investments bought Necco in an auction but sold its Necco wafer brand and Sweethearts to Spangler Candy Company several months later. Spangler's best-known candy is its Dum Dum lollipops.

The candy company acquired the brands in September and did not have the time to produce the conversation hearts for this Valentine's Day.

"There are a lot of manufacturing challenges and unanswered questions at this point, and we want to make sure these brands meet consumer expectations when they re-enter the market," Spangler Chairman and CEO Kirk Vashaw said in a statement announcing the acquisition.

The company is planning to relaunch Sweethearts in time for next year's Valentine's season. Necco wafers will be re-introduced sometime this year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/2...lable-this-year.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
When I was a young trouble-making punk in high school, one of my friends and I discovered that Necco wafers (the kind below, not the hearts of course) registered as quarters in the tolls going into Chicago.

I don't remember how we discovered that (I'm guessing we were short of change at some point) but once we figured it out, we did it multiple times.

That is my memory of Necco wafers.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
When I was a young trouble-making punk in high school, one of my friends and I discovered that Necco wafers (the kind below, not the hearts of course) registered as quarters in the tolls going into Chicago.

I don't remember how we discovered that (I'm guessing we were short of change at some point) but once we figured it out, we did it multiple times.

That is my memory of Necco wafers.

Oh my!

Word should have spread...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Of course that was before the internet, so...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post