well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Mini American/Australian Shepherd - heard of them?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini American/Australian Shepherd - heard of them?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
He’s beautiful! ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34922 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
OMG, what a cutie.

Thanks for the reminder about how much work a puppy is. I was just starting to consider it.

Congratulations to Bruno and his new Sphinx family! May you have many long, happy years together.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37878 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Meet the newest member of the Sphinx family: Bruno, a 10-week old Australian Shepherd.

He's so dang cute. Fluffy, chubby, playful.

And it has been a tough 8 days. Like a newborn, he can't go longer than about five hours at night, so someone has to wake up and take him out. He knows nothing about the world -- leashes, cars, water bowls. He can create havoc with all of it.

I think we'll be OK. We have three adults working from home, so we can attend to him. And three adults is barely enough.

Oh G-d Cindy, JUST what I want only mini (figure 30 lbs is all I could manage. )

Yes, I hear you about all the demands he creates, but still...(*swoon*)

To the rest of you, many thanks for your well thought-out comments and advice. I read them carefully.

Just for the record, the following:

Even before I began this thread, I was checking all remotely nearby rescue sites at least weekly. The situation has gotten steadily worse. There are scarcely any dogs available and most of those that exist, are pit bulls or some variant thereof. My niece has had them for decades as her favorite breed and I know many are sweet, but I have to think of adoptability should I need to part with my next dog (if there is to be one).

In fact, let me add future adoptability as a general consideration in adoption. However, it may be a waste of a good home not to adopt a rescue, adopting a pedigreed pup/dog means its safety should I be unable to maintain a home for it (also should son be unable/unwilling to take it on - my hope).

Steve, I've done a LOT of reading on poodles and poodle mixes even before you brought them up, and I know they are wonderful pets overall. As I mentioned above, I've especially considered purebred poodles (with "puppy cut" - can't stand that fashionable pompom trim). A major drawback for me, is that the minis are just too small while the size up are too big (~ 50 lbs - too big for me now)

I figure 30 lbs are my maximum manageable size.
I've also devoted considerable fantasizing time reading about Berner mixes, including with poodles. They too seem too big, alas, and the lifespan still seems uncertain.
My love for Berners is a main reason I'm attracted to a tricolor Australian Shepherd (like Cindy's) only mini. They look so much alike.

I've learned that one is safer (if one wants a particular look or temperament) to get a second generation mix. That means BOTH parents are themselves the mix you want.

But oh-my, the prices! ESPECIALLY for the second generations. Utterly stratospheric. And the waiting time! Popular breeds (mixes even more than purebred) require not just a waiting list of pregnant bitches but a waiting list for future litters!

Lisa, much appreciation for your heads up on the Shih-tzus. It's one breed I have never looked into but I will. Thanks for sharing your mom's experience. (Definitely ruling out Yorkies! Had thought they were cute).

Again to return to the rescue thoughts, they just are NOT there with the single exception I mentioned. And, Mik, as for rescue Shelties, I began pretty picky (wanting a male with a classic Sheltie look and the tri like my previous ones) Ha! Frowner NONE exist! The closest Sheltie rescue group wrote me they had not even been taking names for their waiting list since BEFORE Covid.

So much for that good thought. I should add that one concern I have is how to adopt a really good pup (with temperament matching) as I know how much they differ. Think I mentioned my first Sheltie, was just perfect - beautiful champion standard (except that he grew too large), very intelligent, gentle, and satisfied with only a modicum of walking. OTOH the second one, female, was an air-head who barked her head off all day - also not true to type physically.)

One plus for Shelties is I have a friend in town who for a long time bred Shelties and also offered puppy training classes. I could trust her to point me in the right direction for an adoption. I definitely chose badly fo the second Sheltie as sweet as she was. It's especially hard where I live as there are SO many Amish breeders who make grand claims about their pups - but are NOT honest. (Have found the Amish reputation for quality craftsmanship and integrity has been much overblown.)

So bear in mind, that I'm not ignoring anyone. Just as it's an ideal time to adopt a rescue because of COVID needs (companionship, dog to walk etc.) it's also the worst possible time for the same reasons. They're just not out there. For a long time I had a fantasy of going to the pound and falling love with a poor forlorn dog who would plead with me with big eyes and a well placed lick.

Doesn't seem to be available. Especially since the trend for some time has been "no-kill shelters" and highly picky organizations that don't take just anyone they also charge several hundreds $$ and make requirements of your suitability. More to the point, though, adoptables are no longer there.

So, I'm still tending to Shelties especially since I want to have more assurances about the breeders such as my friend could probably provide (if there ARE any available). This is not a time when one can visit a new litter of any kind and choose ones puppy, from a reliable family breeder. It's a new world re adopting a puppy/dog.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
And BTW my son is now the doting owner of his long awaited Corgi as of two weeks. Insurance policy, online training classes, baby monitor, many pricey toys and cutting edge equipment. (His fancy adjustable wire pens are amazing and so many toys I don't know how he can fit himself in his apartment. "But, Mom, I need the toys to rotate them and because otherwise she'll be too demanding").

Also the latest dictate is not to walk puppies until they're four months of age, and fully vaccinated, for fear they might contract parvovirus. (Is this really necessary?) He rides the (truly adorable) baby - one ear up, one down! - in his bike with her in a special basket. He is absolutely devoted to training her (He's even managed to teach her "inside voice" /vs "outside voice" just as he was taught in kindergarten!) That IS a new one!

Anyhow, suffice it to say, he's reminded me well of the demands of puppy adoption! Besides which it turns out that a spoiled Corgi is really scary (have seen some you-tube videos of snarling, downright vicious. ones.) This brings home again the importance of training them well about "who's in charge". It's not just the big ones like Berners who have to be well socialized!). We three have a daily Zoom visit with him and Little Miss Fluff . He's anxious to share my only grand with the whole family. We're hoping she won't grow too large to fly under his seat by March when we're planning to finally get together in person. That will be after both she and I'll have hopefully gotten needed vaccines. (PA is just awful in getting their act together with distributing them Mad .)

So that's my latest thinking. Still have the heretofor unconsidered Shitzu breed to investigate (thanks Lisa), but it looks like reality is intruding on my ability to apply many of excellent suggestions. Guess I should have made my move sooner (but who anticipates a pandemic?). Also, the greater adoptability of a purebred is a major consideration too (hoping it wouldn't be needed).

Thanks again for your caring, experience-based advice. If I could, considering size and companionability, I'd be getting a Berna-doodle, love-affair rescue pup, AND - maybe - a mini poodle. And more! Price IS a factor too. Especially for mixes, Berner mixes, or 3rd generation mini Aussies too. I'd thought a mix would be a great way to avoid the perils of overbreeding in otherwise favored breeds.

It turns out, though , that they're FAR more expensive than purebred (who are themselves much pricier than they used to be) and that purebred defects aren't necessarily avoided. I think COVID income losses have led to a new set of breeders who are definitely in it for the money. Wholly lack dedication to genetic care and the quality of future owners in the interest of profit. (True, Cindy, what you said about ones offering numerous breeds being a red flag.)

Some former excellent ideas seem to be no longer feasible (especially re breed mix and lovable rescues) owing to various recent limits on supply, price and distance. (Forgot to mention. I am NOT in a position as I once was, to visit prospective breeders to check them out. Most non-Amish breeders, even rescues, are hundreds of miles away, not to mention actually going there to eventually bring them home. Frowner )

FYI you've turned me completely off Jack Russell Terriers, all terriers FWIW. So much for James Herriot's idealistic portrait of his own Jack Russell adoptee!. (BTW I guess you all know a new James Herriot series has just begun to air on PBS TV!)

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Apologies for such a long reply/explanation.

With such careful replies (I see many of you approach dog adoption almost as seriously as human adoption), I felt obliged to give the same care to your analyses and suggestions.

Assuming everyone else will just skip over. Wanted to reply to every detailed comment.