well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Mini American/Australian Shepherd - heard of them?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini American/Australian Shepherd - heard of them?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
On quite another track, I'm vaguely considering a Jack Russell Terrier (apologies to any fans, but for some reason I can't abide chihuahuas although I have heard they can be charming.)

Have you seen the long haired variety? They’re quite a bit more endearing than the common shorthair.

Jack Russells can be challenging, to say the least. You may want to do some research before deciding.

Jack Russells are very big dogs in a very small body. I've never seen a small dog with more attitude.

We knew one in San Francisco literally named "Monster". A great dog, but the name was apt.

They are cyclones with four feet.

Posts: 45733 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned, we're hopefully getting a puppy soon. Let me tell you this little saga.

Post-Covid, dogs are in short supply around here. Lots of people realized they would be working from home and would be around enough to handle a dog. By April, shelters were pretty much empty.

As the year wore on, I expected the demand to let up, but this did not happen for the kind of dog we wanted. We were looking for a medium-sized mixed breed, but the dog could not be a rottweiller or pit bull for reasons that should be obvious. We wanted a puppy or young-ish dog, but it had to be good with other dogs and with kids (we don't have kids, of course, but our kids may have kids soon and our friends have kids). And we didn't want to take on a dog with heartworm, and we didn't want any bonded pairs because one dog is enough for us.

We put in applications for dogs, and not only did we not get a dog, we did not even get responses. The rescue organizations are run by volunteers, and I understand they are inundated. The demand was still too high, and dogs would show up on the site as adopted a day after their photo went up.

Finally, though, we got a response to one of our applications -- a one-year old boxer mix that looked nice and had a good review from his foster mom. We started to get excited. When we talked to the foster mom, however, it turned out the web site was inaccurate and the dog was actually six years old and had arthritis in both hips. We did not want the expense or heartbreak of dealing with an ailing dog, so we passed.

We started researching breeders, and it was tough going. In the past, we have found breeders of show dogs and bought one of their "pet quality" dogs that is not suitable for the show ring because of some cosmetic feature. The dogs we have obtained this way have never had a health problem because show dog breeders know what they're doing, don't want to ruin the breed with careless breeding, and screen the parents for common defects.

The tough part was that true show breeders were charging astronomical prices for their pups because, you know, supply and demand. So we widened our search to look at other breeders, being mindful of red flags. I scratched one breeder because he doesn't do any health screening on the parents. Other breeders were willing to ship the dog. Other breeders offered several breeds instead of being devoted to one. Another breeder seemed to be doing too many litters. Another was scratched because she didn't insist that the dog be neutered. Finally, I found a breeder I think ought to work out, but she doesn't show and I would feel better if she did.

Anyway, we think and hope we have found a good breeder and hope to drive to NC to pick up the puppy next weekend. Fingers crossed.

Posts: 19760 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
On quite another track, I'm vaguely considering a Jack Russell Terrier (apologies to any fans, but for some reason I can't abide chihuahuas although I have heard they can be charming.)

Have you seen the long haired variety? They’re quite a bit more endearing than the common shorthair.

Jack Russells can be challenging, to say the least. You may want to do some research before deciding.

The long hair Jack Russells I have seen looked good, they were not the high energy dogs purebred Jack Russells are.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I would advise against a jack Russell based on the energy levels of the ones I have seen that belong to friends.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20433 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Hmm (Jodi and CHAS), I had thought a dog that small couldn't possibly make that high energy demands if they had a medium sized yard to run around in.

And I like the idea of one that was long-haired (though reading Steve's last post, left me confused about whether the long-haired variety being more "endearing" mightn't be referring to the chihuahuas.

I was attracted to Jack Russells because it was James Herriot's last companion dog (went with on all his visits with him).

OTOH - back yard or not, I'm afraid being a terrier breed they might be apt to dig under my fence, which though 6 ' tall (for the Berner of yore) isn't planted deep in the ground.

Oh, my!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I like the idea of one that was long-haired (though reading Steve's last post, left me confused about whether the long-haired variety being more "endearing" mightn't be referring to the chihuahuas.

I was speaking of long haired Chihuahas

quote:
OTOH - back yard or not, I'm afraid being a terrier breed they might be apt to dig under my fence, which though 6 ' tall (for the Berner of yore) isn't planted deep in the ground.

Our first dog was a Wire Haired Terrier (similar in temprament to a JR Terrier) who could clear a six foot fence with any trouble and did so regularly. He also dug like an excavator. In his defense, we both worked so he was left alone in the yard most of the day.

We didn't have him very long.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34885 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Cindy, many thanks for your long analysis of the current dog market (I have heard as much - hence my son is having to drive to Oregon from SF to pick up his long-awaited Corgi).

Even searching for my Berner years ago, required a long wait on their breeding list (and very in-depth qualifying process). They owned the shy but obedience winning mother, whom they bred to the national Bernese champion. Our adoptee was great, though funnily he was required to be castrated (so as not to be bred) because though he was perfect in conformation, his muzzle white spot was asymmetrical - disqualifying.

(Seems so silly, since AFAIk such details of coloring aren't heritable.)

I'll write again later, but let me get this straight.

Is the puppy you're about to get, your third mini Aussie?
And does that mean your third sequentially or will you have three all at once, once adopted??

I'd love to know more about the fruits of your research later, but it can wait. Personally, I prefer to get puppies from small operations like that of my Berner - the mother a family dog, father a top champion (usually, the mother is flown in to him at JUST the right time to be bred).

Yes, it's in many ways an ideal time to acquire a dog, but in other ways - which you pointed out - a terrible time, because of the market.

(BTW almost all the adoptable dogs in my area - widely defined - are the purportedly "attack"- prone dogs you said you were rejecting "for obvious reason".)

FWIW I'd dispute that on grounds of whether they really are so "obviously" unacceptable ( have several family members who adore theirs - gentle and sweet), but OTOH acquiring such a dog puts one at that much more risk of being unable to move with it.

At least, in a rental or retirement home - because their reputation leads to their being rejected almost everywhere.

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Re Jack Russell terriers . . .

We had a great dog trainer many years ago. He gave a money-back guarantee if he couldn't work with you to get your dog trained. I asked him if he ever had to make good on the guarantee. He said just once, with a Jack Russell terrier.

He explained that they are the most stubborn, hard-headed, entrenched dogs out there, and people should avoid the breed unless they are really committed to doing a lot of serious training work and also understand that it may not work.

Posts: 19760 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
And does that mean your third sequentially or will you have three all at once, once adopted??

No, no mini-Aussies for me. The new pup will be a standard Aussie.

We got our first standard Aussie in about 1999. He was great, but he died at one year old under what I will call "mysterious circumstances." I have not told that story here, but it was very sad. I can if anyone cares.

About a year later, we got a miniature poodle puppy. We opted not to get another Aussie. Little Sphinx was about 3 years old, and the walking, exercising, and grooming of an Aussie was a lot. I thought something that didn't shed and was small would be do-able. As it turned out, Mr. Sphinx hated hated hated that poodle. It was super yappy and strong-willed. It loved me, but it refused to let Mr. Sphinx sleep in our bed (!). They finally had a fight one night over who would be the alpha in the bed with me, and Mr. Sphinx won.

In about 2003, I relented and we got another Aussie, so Mr. Sphinx had a dog he liked and I had the poodle, which I liked. Unfortunately, this meant we had two dogs, which was a terrible idea and one I will never repeat. The Aussie made a mess, and the poodle barked constantly, except when the two of them were running in circles and turning the house into an episode of "Wild Kingdom." Sadly, the poodle was the dog that was run over while I was crossing an intersection when he was about five years old.

We had the second Aussie until he died of cancer. On election day, 2016. That was a super bad day, followed by a super bad evening, followed by four super bad years.

Now with Trump out, we feel energized to get what will likely be our final dog of any kind, so of course we are going with an Aussie again. Now that the kids are adults, I feel like if we have a turn of bad luck and cannot keep the dog, the kids would step in. I am currently injured and may not be able to run now or ever, but I can walk enough to exercise an Aussie, I hope.

Fingers crossed for next weekend.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Best dog I've ever had was the last one left in the litter. He was non-conforming because he had a white blaze on his chest, and the buyers all preferred females because they are supposedly better for hunting.

Damn, that was one terrific dog. Every person and every dog that every met him loved him.

We have two aging dogs and won't get another while both are still here. They're both 12. The German shepherd is, amazingly, still in good shape (that's very old for a German shepherd) ... the German shorthair pointer will probably still be with us for a while.

Posts: 45733 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We've been going back and forth about getting another dog. Lots of things to consider. We're just chilling for now.

Good luck with the pup, Cindy! Please post pics if you can. I need a dog fix.

edit: And.....sounds like you sustained an injury. What happened?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37850 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
quote:

No, no mini-Aussies for me. The new pup will be a standard Aussie...

...Fingers crossed for next weekend.

Many thanks for the info and sharing your dog history. Sometimes I think we (dog people) can tell our life story in the story of our dogs. No wonder when we lose one, we are so bereft - we're losing that period of our lives, in the history of that dog.

I'm disappointed to learn you're now getting a standard Aussie rather than a mini (how I read your first announcement). I was hoping and praying I might get a lead on a suitable breeder from you.

Yes, I know what you mean about breeds getting popular and that's leading to much risk in choosing one, especially now when ALL dogs are sought after. Also since so many people are seeking a new source of income when others have been curtailed.

I have run into that phenomenon of breeders who oversee more than one breed - often quite a few, and sometimes kind of a franchise where several breeders sell their puppies together.. Dog breeding is becoming big business, and that leads to many problems - especially, in harm to the breed's bloodlines, sloppiness in following health pedigrees.
That's what happened to Bernese when they became popular. They lived well past 10 when I got mine, and now their lifespan is around 7 at best. The big killer is cancer.

This may be just about the worst time to seek a dog. If only one prefers an unpopular breed, it broadens the field.

Just don't know how to find a responsible breeder especially when one wants the family breeder such as I described with my Berner - they own the dam, and mate her to an excellent stud dog. Blood lines for health and temperament carefully monitored. My Berner's pedigree was pages long, going back at least five generations.

Of course, such a find can require waiting years of waiting and it kind of contradicts my conditions, as such families only breed their family pet for a short time to protect her.

I just can't traipse around interviewing breeders and their operation indefinitely (major distances involved). Again my age and mobility limit me. Even searching through the petfinder sources online is very restricted now, unless one is willing to accept a mixed breed with an unknown history. As I said, most of them are of the undesired breeds/mixes. Guess I need to limit my requirements fast or I am apt to lose all my chances.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I'm disappointed to get all these bad reports of Jack Russell terriers. I thought they were a fine compromise for me, given their size and intelligence (all except for the problem with their digging under my fence).

Our rabbi's (childless) wife has made her profession into adopting and helping others adopt rescue greyhounds (you may know Florida has outlawed their racing so there is now a plethora of suddenly retired greyhounds.)

Personally can't imagine adopting a greyhound for many reasons, but I was surprised to learn from her that greyhounds apparently manage just fine running around their backyard. They report it's is the same size as mine and if ever there was a breed that needs to exercise - run - that's the breed.

The congregation FWIW (this the shmooze at the end of our weekly ZOOM service) has encouraged me to consider one of the supposedly too lively breeds despite my circumstances. (Anecdote) One member had a Sheltie and a cattle dog a good while back, and ended up getting a small flock of sheep for them (whose wool she sheared and wove!) Now THOSE were satisfied herding dogs!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Personally can't imagine adopting a greyhound for many reasons, but I was surprised to learn from her that greyhounds apparently manage just fine running around their backyard.

Zimmer has a retired racing greyhound and has for about 5 years. He's about the most mellow, couch potato dog I have ever seen except when he is allowed outside to run. Indoors he is very calm.

As I am sure your friend can tell you, they have some quirks. They get cold very easily. They generally don't demonstrate the slavish devotion you get from, say, retrievers. They must never be allowed to run off leash in a non-fenced area as they're "sight hounds". If they see something move in the distance they will chase it for miles. This can probably be trained out of them as puppies but racers don't get that sort of training.

Easy to have around, though. Affectionate to a point, quiet, doesn't tear things up, low maintenance coat.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34885 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Steve's description is spot on. Especially the part about never being allowed to be off leash.

Greyhounds are interesting, and I think a very sweet breed if a bit delicate in some respects. They have to wear a coat in cold temps because they basically have no body fat.

We adopted one but when we got her home we saw some signs of extreme dominance, if not aggression. We decided not to risk the cats and our golden, so we returned her immediately. She was a few years old and had been a winning racer before she was injured. A lot of the dogs that are available for adoption are just a couple of years old and are the ones who *don't* win and who get rescued because the owners don't want them. They tend to be the mush-melons who are the perfect pets.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37850 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post