well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Wow - a huge win for open access

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wow - a huge win for open access
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
UofC system cancels Elsevier subscriptions.

https://www.chronicle.com/arti...fornia-System/245798

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Elsevier sounds like a piece of work.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Love to get RF’s take.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
There was a time when I was told I could make freely available my papers on the WWW, just that I had to call them “preprints” because the actual papers as published are copyrighted by the journals or conferences. But calling them “preprints” were fine.

Things have of coursed evolved, and researchers are more organized with making “preprints” freely available while still keeping the paid journals in business.

I certainly welcome more free, open access to academic publications. That said, I don’t have a clear understanding of how the process of gathering, curating, reviewing, editing, and publishing of papers get financed. The Internet has lowered and spread the distribution cost thin, but that’s only a fraction of the cost of making scholarly articles available. Assuming no pay wall and no subscription fees, where would the funding come from? Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
There was a time when I was told I could make freely available my papers on the WWW, just that I had to call them “preprints” because the actual papers as published are copyrighted by the journals or conferences. But calling them “preprints” were fine.

Things have of coursed evolved, and researchers are more organized with making “preprints” freely available while still keeping the paid journals in business.

I certainly welcome more free, open access to academic publications. That said, I don’t have a clear understanding of how the process of gathering, curating, reviewing, editing, and publishing of papers get financed. The Internet has lowered and spread the distribution cost thin, but that’s only a fraction of the cost of making scholarly articles available. Assuming no pay wall and no subscription fees, where would the funding come from? Shrug

Those are good questions Ax, but Elsevier certainly isn't hurting with something like a 37% net profit margin. It's exhorbitant fees are probably the answer. Plus their editors are volunteers and not paid. They aren't without controversy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsevier

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10569 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Stumbled across this today; seemed kinda related.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...ience-s-pirate-queen

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
As if September 17, my company was purchased by the evil empire so I’m no longer unbiased.

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
As if September 17, my company was purchased by the evil empire so I’m no longer unbiased.

I was listening to an NPR commentary on it and thinking of you. From another who has been bought out...(Layoffs seem to come every Thursday)..

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
P*D may also have some interesting insights. Part of the issue with Elsevier (or any of the mega-academic publishers) is they control so much content, and they negotiate with universities to get the highest subscription costs possible. Nothing wrong with that on its face (despite all the noble rhetoric about relevance and curiosity). Where the problem becomes acute (and is pointed out in the article, mentioning public universities and small privates as particularly vulnerable) is the combination of demographics (fewer college-age kids up through about 2027) and the drastic reduction in public funding for higher ed. Elsevier may want to get the highest dollar possible, but there are fewer and fewer dollars to go around.

As for where the money comes from to publish in a journal, the answer really is "it depends." Some journals are 100% author-funded. Others work on a hybrid. None are free (with the exeption of letters and notes in places like Nature, I think). Every research grant includes publishing costs in its research budget, so in some ways we pay for the cost of publishing in these journals.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Detail in this Atlantic piece.

I hadn’t heard about ‘plan S’.

https://www.theatlantic.com/sc...er-publisher/583909/

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
That said, I don’t have a clear understanding of how the process of gathering, curating, reviewing, editing, and publishing of papers get financed.

I think the major complaint is that the universities provide the vast bulk of the labor for free. They are the authors and the reviewers.

It seems to me that this model would have died already but for the status-conferring role of the major journals, both for the authors and the editors. It is taking a while for open access to replicate that, if it ever will.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Why not publish journals directly to the net?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
That said, I don’t have a clear understanding of how the process of gathering, curating, reviewing, editing, and publishing of papers get financed.

I think the major complaint is that the universities provide the vast bulk of the labor for free. They are the authors and the reviewers.

It seems to me that this model would have died already but for the status-conferring role of the major journals, both for the authors and the editors. It is taking a while for open access to replicate that, if it ever will.

Don't underestimate the status-conferring role. It's important for tenure.

And there's the peer review aspect too.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Why not publish journals directly to the net?

Someone else can probably answer this in more detail, but basically the problem is ensuring that the article will be available premantely. Just think about what happens here at WTF.

Who will host the data? Who will make sure that it remains available with the same URL or locator, keep all the severs maintained, ensure that the content is preserved...

These things are complicated, not insurmountable, but complicated. Many online journals still have a hard copy version as well, and there’s still a pretty big contingent that views the journals with a print version as more legit.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

One would there no that the info could be stored to the cloud for almost nothing and the apropriate educational institutions could keep it there without much fuss. Seems pretty straightforward these days.

There is probably more to it than I know.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post