well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Did you have the croochie-proochles during your last airplane flight?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did you have the croochie-proochles during your last airplane flight?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
15 Obscure Words for Everyday Feelings and Emotions
From Gwenders to Malneirophrenia.

Given that it runs to more than a quarter of a million words, there’s a good chance that the English language will probably have the word you’re looking for. But when it comes to describing hard-to-describe feelings and emotions, much is made of the English language’s shortcomings: We either have to turn to foreign languages to describe situations like coming up with a perfect comeback when the moment has passed (esprit de l’escalier—thank you French), or else use resources like the brilliant, but sadly entirely fictitious, Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows or Meaning of Liff.

But so vast is the English language that words for feelings and emotions, and to describe the human condition, have actually found their way into the dictionary. So there’s no need to call that comeback esprit de l’escalier, because the word afterwit has been in use in English since the late 16th century. And here are 15 more obscure English words to describe feelings that are otherwise indescribable.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
Entertaining list.

The only one of these I’ve ever used is “crapulence”.

But I now know that I experienced the croochie-proochles during my flight yesterday and my life is now more complete.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
By the way, because I don’t like to type I tend to dictate my various responses here. I then go in and quickly edit anything that the voice recognition software messes up.

it did not do well with the phrase crochet protectors. I mean crew chief for Chili’s. Crunchy pretzels? Crew chief purchase.?

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agree, I've used "crapulence." The others, not at all. I'm trying to figure out whether I can work them into my vocabulary.

I've definitely felt nikhedonia, just didn't have a word for it. Now I do!

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I was pleased that the definition of “fat-sorrow” did not include a picture of me.

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Hooray for gwenders!

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering why so many relate to discomfort or unease.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I think Yiddish has English beat by a mile when it comes to things like this.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post