well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Five Universal Laws of Human Stupidity

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Five Universal Laws of Human Stupidity
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Gyaa, that's depressing as hell.

And even if I might take issue with some of the details (like how many stupid are there, really, and is there really no recourse, etc.) the bigger message is pretty convincing. ETA: although, years before our current White House occupant, I might not have agreed. Now, I feel like it's an undeniable fact. Frowner

P.S. tl;dr version of this article: "you can't fix stupid" suave

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
I like the definition of stupid provided, but of course it devolves to political leanings being the test. Lots of people think history is replete with examples of communists being "stupid" by exactly the definition provided, for example. But some hot commodities in politics are AOC and Liz Warren. I have no doubt that lots of their supporters would read that piece and nod their heads in agreement, content that they're on the smart side.

Not that I'm saying they're stupid. I find this system to be banal and self-serving, as if its audience needed yet another way to pat themselves on the head that they're the best of us.

There *is* such a thing as actual intelligence testing and it's even been studied extensively throughout the history of western science. I would be careful about treading there though. Intelligence is best left as a concept which one perceives but does not directly test. Just trust me on that one.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
There's a world of difference between demonstrably "stupid" re IQ/intellect and having poor judgment.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Or to quote Forrest Gump:

"Stupid is as stupid does."

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
He missed one:

6. "No matter how stupid something is, there is someone, somewhere who will do it."

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Law 1: Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.

And the all important corollary to Law 1:
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
But . . . do stupid people know they are stupid?

Asking for a friend.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Advice to live by:
If you're going to do something stupid, be smart about it.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
This should be good. A seminar in stupidity? It's about time!

Wait. I have to read it.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
He missed one:

6. "No matter how stupid something is, there is someone, somewhere who will do it."

Hold my beer ...

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post