well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Amazon.com's once-a-week shipping
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon.com's once-a-week shipping
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
Amazon.com now has this option to let Prime members select one day (out of the week) where they can receive shipments for all their orders throughout the week (up to two days prior) for free. That reasons for that are:
  • To cut down on carbon footprint (less packaging material and vehicle miles) -- good for the environment
  • To cut cost -- good for Amazon.com

That's well and good, then I'm thinking ... what's the remaining attraction for the $119/year Prime membership then? The attraction of Amazon Prime started as free two-day shipping for most items. If folks are willing to wait longer for shipments, may be they just combine the orders themselves and still get free shipping for placing large enough order each time. What am I missing? Shrug

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I like the prime Amazon 2 day shipping.

I have heard about an Amazon cart that travels in some neighborhoods getting started. Could that be what they are gearing up. For?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:What am I missing? Shrug

Prime Video.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34931 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Prime Video.
I'm thinking, after giving up shipping benefits, perhaps the same dollars can be reallocated to other streatming services (e.g., Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Starz).

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Prime gives you other discounts -- lately I've been noticing things like "Prime members save 15% on this item" on a lot of things. And as a general policy, I believe Prime members get 20% off when pre-ordering things like new video games. 20% off a few $50 video games adds up to a good chunk of money.

Posts: 4402 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this is an extension of Amazon's current No-Rush shipping program. If you select No-Rush, you get a credit of some kine, usually against a future purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=9433645011

Another perk is Amazon Music. And a free six month trial for the Washington Post, along with a reduced rate if you decide to subscribe and pay.

Bunch more: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/am...s-every-member-gets/

But like Ax, I'm wondering if the Prime benefits are worth much more than $120 a year....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37886 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Prime gives you other discounts -- lately I've been noticing things like "Prime members save 15% on this item" on a lot of things. And as a general policy, I believe Prime members get 20% off when pre-ordering things like new video games. 20% off a few $50 video games adds up to a good chunk of money.
Ah, that is news to me ... I haven't pay much attention to electronic gaming titles, so I was not aware of this benefit until you mention it. I guess that's the strength of Amazon Prime -- you get multiple different kinds of benefits from one subscription.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
People buy enough stuff through Amazon to have it bundle up for a once-a-week delivery? I guess I'm not their target market.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Most of the stuff I buy on Amazon I order because I need it right away.

I've been trying to do better at bundling orders for fewer deliveries but it is just so convenient that I find it hard to find the discipline to do that.

Posts: 34931 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I can see bundling things this way.

I feel bad when I order one thing at a time from Amazon. I am still reeling with shame for the packaging of a $25 plastic shower caddy that came in an enormous box with bubble wrap. I definitely didn't need the shower caddy *RIGHT NOW*, either.

So I try to bundle myself, but as I sit at the computer about to buy the shower caddy, I can't remember what else I need. And I don't like storing things in the shopping cart because all five of us use the account and have accidentally purchased things that someone else left in the cart. If Amazon would bundle for me, I would actually wind up buying more things.

I would want a discount, though. If they save, I should save.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I can see bundling things this way.

I feel bad when I order one thing at a time from Amazon. I am still reeling with shame for the packaging of a $25 plastic shower caddy that came in an enormous box with bubble wrap. I definitely didn't need the shower caddy *RIGHT NOW*, either.

So I try to bundle myself, but as I sit at the computer about to buy the shower caddy, I can't remember what else I need. And I don't like storing things in the shopping cart because all five of us use the account and have accidentally purchased things that someone else left in the cart. If Amazon would bundle for me, I would actually wind up buying more things.

I would want a discount, though. If they save, I should save.

I keep an ongoing list and just add to it. If often has a book or gift or pills. Then delete if I find better items to make a grouping.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That’s a good idea. I’ll start doing that too. ThumbsUp

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I use Amazon so little now as I just do not need to buy much anymore.

But when I do, I would expect that an in stock item would ship within a day or two.

I am STILL waiting for two books I ordered on January 28. It looks like they shipped on February 28. WTF

I will take delivery but the gift event has come and gone. Mad

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There's a Save for Later feature. I sometimes put things that I might purchase but don't need right now in the cart, then delete them before placing my current order. The deleted items go to the Save for Later list. You can see those saved items on the page when you look at your cart.

When I decide to buy something that I need soon, and I might be able to get same day or next day delivery if I get to $35, I check the Saved list to see if there's something I might be able to add in.

Works great.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37886 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I use Save for Later for stuff I'm not sure about.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post