well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Indian/Bollywood movies 2019

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indian/Bollywood movies 2019
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
Took in three noteworthy Indian/Bollywood movies lately.
"Saand Ki Aankh", "Panipat", and "Pati Patni Aur Woh", all released in 2019.

"Saand Ki Aankh" (2019) is the most serious of the bunch. It's dramatized biopics of India's two generations of sharp shooting women who collectively won hundreds of medals in various domestic and international sharp shooting competitions. Lots of the movie is dedicated to telling the stories of how these women overcome entrenched sexism in rural India to achieve international recognition for their skills and talents. If you ever feel like watching a biopic of a non-head-of-state, non-Western persons, this movie is as good as any.

"Panipat" (2019) tries to show the grandeur of an 18th century Indian dynasty, it tries to tell epic war stories. If you ever want to see a film that glorifies a bygone Indian dynasty, this is it. If you feel like watching 18th century Indian military engaging 18th century Afghan military in epic battle, this is it. Though try as it might, it's still not as "grand" and not as "epic" as what Hollywood and China have managed to produce, be it to glorify a bygone empire or to depict an epic military battle. Shrug

"Pati Patni Aur Woh" (2019), I suppose, can be characterized as a romantic comedy. Despite having to understand the dialogue through closed caption, I laughed my head off throughout most of the movie. The Indian audience in the theater with me (whom I assume could understand the original Hindi dialogue) laughed even harder than I did. It's that funny! This romantic comedy is not about "boy meets girl, boy tries to court girl, boy wins girl over," but about a young couple dealing with the husband becoming enchanted by yet another beautiful young woman. It's a romantic comedy with heart, with moral, with funny yet insightful social commentaries. If you feel like trying an exotic flavor of contemporary romantic comedy, this one is as good as any, and you also get to pick up what seems to trouble contemporary young Indians these days as they deal with familial and societal expectations.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12675 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post