well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What Is Ted Cruz's End Game?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is Ted Cruz's End Game?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
I've been wondering lately about what Ted Cruz hopes to accomplish, or thinks he can accomplish.

The man seems to have a burning ambition to be President, or at minimum a party leader.

It seems to me, though, that he's positioning himself to be the next Barry Goldwater. He has increased his profile, and he can probably get the Republican nomination, only to lose badly in the general election (unless there is a seismic electoral event).

Is that his endgame? To get the Republican nomination, lose in the general, and then become Sarah Palin? Or does he really think he has a chance?

--------------------------------
See? It's happened again already.

Posts: 28104 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
IT'S NOT A GAME!! Neener

Is it possible that his end game was just to get a bunch of cash? nothing more or less?

Posts: 25861 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serf-Citizen of the Corporate States of America
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of OperaTenor
posted Hide Post
Politician => super-sized ego

I think that probably explains most of it.

Posts: 24673 | Location: Sandy Eggo, CA | Registered: 15 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The Veiled Male"
Gadfly
Picture of Zorba
posted Hide Post
The same as all of his ilk: Theocracy.

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Posts: 3876 | Location: Monterey, Ca | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Rick Zimmer
posted Hide Post
I'd combine Nina's and OT's answers and add power to the mix.

If elected office were his primary goal, he is going about it all wrong. And I think he is smart enough to know that. I think what is most important to him is money, ego-gratification and power.

Whatever happiness there is in the world all arises from the wish for others' happiness. Whatever suffering there is in the world arises from the wish for one's own happiness. -- Shantideva's "The Way of the Bodhisattva"

Posts: 20105 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: 23 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I find it hard to believe that it's ego-gratifying to run for President and get slaughtered, which is the path down which Cruz is headed. Sarah Palin is steering well clear of that path, and she is as interested in ego gratification as any politician on earth.

It's got to be about the money and the power ... unless he really is bat-sh!t crazy.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Well, I wouldn't necessarily rule out bat-**** crazy. Leaving

Need more data.

Posts: 25861 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I think his initial plan was to become the next president. Frankly, I thought he had a good shot.

He is from a major state. He is very, very smart and well-spoken. So far as we know, he is squeaky clean. He had the potential to siphon off some Latino votes, especially if he became a leader on immigration reform.

The one thing he didn't have was a national profile. There are a lot of Republicans angling for the nomination. How's a brother supposed to stand out?

Cruz decided to take a swing at Obamacare. It seemed like a no-brainer. Most people don't like Obamacare, so there was no chance of a backlash. He would be standing on a solid pillar of the GOP -- the government is too big and entitlements are killing us. And he was going up against a weak, lame duck president who regularly caves when pressed.

Personally, I think Cruz lost the battle and his presidential chances have been crushed. Now, he has to get the nomination with the entire Republican establishment determined to defeat him. Then he has to somehow win the White House despite being the face of the shutdown. Worse, there is is Green Eggs And Ham speech, which will make a great campaign commercial for the Dems as they paint Cruz as everything that is wrong with Washington.

I think he will run for the nomination in 2016 and lose. He will run again in 2020 and lose. And then he will retire and make money giving speeches.

Posts: 14869 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
What Cindy said.

"I’m just not sure what the Republican Party really stands for any more other than telling Obama no and telling our own corporate interests yes. That’s not much of a platform." Eric Erickson

Posts: 15055 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Most people don't like Obamacare

Confused

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 20104 | Location: Yorba Linda, CA | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
What Cindy said.

If he was as smart and as rational as that theory suggests, he'd understand that there will be no Tea Party President in 2016. Absent, as I said, something cataclysmic.

So, I'm left with two possibilities. Either (1) he's not as smart and as rational as that theory suggests, and he really believes that he has a shot, acting this way, or (2) he has a different endgame in mind. My question sort of presupposes that he is smart and rational. Perhaps he's not. Perhaps he honestly believes, or believed, that he could get elected President, being this combative and this extreme. But I was assuming away the batsh!t crazy.

Honestly, I don't think "being Ted Cruz", if this is who he is, was ever a viable Presidential strategy. Since he's a smart guy, I figured he knew that.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Support for my position: watch Marco Rubio and Rand Paul. They knew better than to be the face Of The shutdown. Paul, in particular, has been managing his public profile very carefully. They understand that looking extreme is no way to get elected President. I assume Cruz is just as smart.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Yes, Rubio and Rand Paul are clearly playing their cards differently.

Still, Cruz's plan wasn't doomed from the start. I mean, he was pursuing a Reagan strategy. Or a Bush II strategy.

That strategy is that you pander to the base as much as you have to to secure the nomination. The next phase is you rely on your winning personality and overall appeal to convince voters they like you, even if they disagree with you.

This worked for Reagan well enough to unseat a sitting president. He was the ultimate charmer.

This worked for Bush II, as he sugarcoated his conservative ideas by calling himself a "compassionate conservative." Independents bought it.

Romney tried this too, what with his talk of "self-deportation" and ham-handed moves to the right. Trouble was, he had no charm or personality, and he was clearly just a moderate in conservative clothing. Still, it almost worked and might have, except for that inconvenient 47% footage.

Had Cruz been successful and had the President caved on Obamacare, Cruz would have been unstoppable as the next Republican nominee.

Posts: 14869 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Yes, Rubio and Rand Paul are clearly playing their cards differently.

Still, Cruz's plan wasn't doomed from the start. I mean, he was pursuing a Reagan strategy. Or a Bush II strategy.

That strategy is that you pander to the base as much as you have to to secure the nomination. The next phase is you rely on your winning personality and overall appeal to convince voters they like you, even if they disagree with you.

This worked for Reagan well enough to unseat a sitting president. He was the ultimate charmer.

This worked for Bush II, as he sugarcoated his conservative ideas by calling himself a "compassionate conservative." Independents bought it.

Romney tried this too, what with his talk of "self-deportation" and ham-handed moves to the right. Trouble was, he had no charm or personality, and he was clearly just a moderate in conservative clothing. Still, it almost worked and might have, except for that inconvenient 47% footage.

Had Cruz been successful and had the President caved on Obamacare, Cruz would have been unstoppable as the next Republican nominee.

I see it differently. While Reagan, Bush the Lesser, and Romney all pandered to the base to get the nomination, none of them were the sorts of bomb throwers that Cruz is. You can't walk that sort of extremism back.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
NY Mag had a caption under a Cruz photo that read "Reports that I am an evil genius turn out to be half true."

Seriously, though, smart as he is, it may be that he is a True Believer. True Believers truly believe.

There were smart people in the Democratic party - and some here at WTF - who thought that we didn't win the Whitehouse in 2004 because we ran a centrist instead of a leftist.

Likewise there are many in the GOP who believe they lost in 2008 and 2012 because they didn't run a True Conservative. Cruz may be one of them.

This signature no verbs.

Posts: 21792 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post