well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Won’t happen but….
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Won’t happen but….
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
If the Dems hold the senate it would be great if Sotomayor retired.

She’s tied with Alito as the worst (most transparently partisan) justice. And she’s 68 and morbidly obese. If Biden is replaced by a two term Republican, she’d be pushing 79 when that 2nd term ended, the same age our last morbidly obese justice was when he died.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Is that just a wish, or has she floated a tiredness with SCOTUS service?

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I would prefer to see Thomas retire, or be retired by nature, as soon as is practicable.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Absolutely I’m wishcasting.

Of course Thomas is probably the next to go out one way or another and I will very much welcome that.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Won't happen, but I'd like to see Biden pack the court to nullify the partisan activist majority...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Won't happen, but I'd like to see Biden pack the court to nullify the partisan activist majority...

That seems to fail game-theoretically. The GOP would just pack it more when they were in the majority.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’d like to see her retire but I can’t see it happening.

Ego alone is going to make that a heavy lift.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It almost always is.

Look at RBG. She really put her career desires over her political values.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
In fairness, RBG was from a time when party politics wasn’t supposed to matter.

Seems kind of quaint today.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Packing the Court would be a terrible precedent.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Wishing a justice would die. Wow.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand why she needs to step down because she is not as thin as you would like.

If actuarial longevity matters so much in who should be selected, then there should be no more men nominated. Women live longer than men.

As for RBG, the problem isn’t that she didn’t retire. The problem is that the Republicans stole the Scalia seat, and Dems nominated Terrible Candidate Hillary. Can’t blame that on RBG.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Without opining on Sotomayor, it was clearly a mistake for RBG to hang on. She was over 80 and had survived cancer colon cancer, pancreatic cancer, and the placement of a stent. Sticking around was a stupid, unnecessary risk to take.

She was a giant of a human being, but that has never insulated anyone from making really poor decisions due to self-interest.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Does anyone belief that, had RBG retired, McConnell would have allowed Obama to replace her?

Obviously depending on when she had chosen to retire, I have my doubts. I think he would have claimed the same crazy logic that he used to steal Scalia's seat.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Does anyone belief that, had RBG retired, McConnell would have allowed Obama to replace her?

Obviously depending on when she had chosen to retire, I have my doubts. I think he would have claimed the same crazy logic that he used to steal Scalia's seat.

Not if she had retired when the Dems had a majority. (Which, as you say, is the when.) That was when it was in the best interests of the country for her to retire.

People can say that’s hindsight, except it was being said out loud at the time.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post