well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Please help me choose masks
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help me choose masks
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
My masks are running out. I refuse to stop wearing them.

I was at Quest. They didn't make people wear masks. I was surprised. They announced from the television they have social distancing. They didn't. They extolled the virtues of hygiene but took away all the hand wipes.

My masks are running out. Does anyone have any recommendations? I want to buy them at Amazon.

Thanks!

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I don't have recommendations for specific brands. Personally, I usually wear the KN95s because they aren't as suffocating as the N95s. But sometimes I go with the flimsier papery ones when I'm not in a crowded place or when even the KN's start to bug me.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm (temporarily) immunocompromised so I don't mess around with inferior or sketchy masks. I use KN95, N95 is fractionally "better" but significantly less comfy for me.

What I most dislike about the KN95s (and N95s as well for what it's worth) is they don't have the ear loops. My hair is super straight and slippery, and the top elastic band on the x95's is always slipping down to my neck and I have to readjust it.

I think a way to recognize a fake N95 is the presence of ear loops. A real N95 has to have the two elastic bands, not ear loops.

how to spot a fake N95

If you want to go with N95 -- The seven ways to identify a fake N95 mask:

1. It has ear lops instead of head straps.
2. It lacks a 'TC' number.
3. The NIOSH logo is missing or misspelled.
4. There are no markings at all.
5. It has decorations or includes decorative fabrics. This bummed me out, personally. The article does give a shoutout to DemeTECH masks, though, which are apparently legit and come in some colors.
6. It's marketed as "approved for children"
7. It doesn't make a proper seal on your face.

Most of the ones on Amazon have ear loops, so I am wary of those.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m comfortable with the KF94, which means I’ll wear them. They have ear loops. I have really slippery hair; things on the back of my head don’t stay put. We use Bluna Face Fit KF94, purchased on Amazon.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Nina, I think you were mistaken to say KN95s don’t have ear loops. All of mine do.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Nina, I think you were mistaken to say KN95s don’t have ear loops. All of mine do.

Yes, N95 - no ear loops. KN95 - ear loops.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I got ours for free at CVS. N95s. They had a huge ginormous box of them, take as many as you want. We are starting run low on those, too. CVS no longer has free masks, but they may have them for sale?

Amazon was my source for masks before the freebies arrived on the scene. Have you looked to see what they have?

I happen to prefer the N95s over the KN95s. I find the bands around the back of my head a lot more secure and comfy than the ear loops. But then I have curly hair.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
My last big batch of N95 masks from Amazon.com is “Aegle N95 Mask USA, NIOSH-approved, 50 Pack in anti-counterfeit packaging, Particulate Respirator, STS-F100”
https://www.amazon.com/NIOSH-a...rator/dp/B09B8Q81J7/

The same product also comes in 20-pack, 50-pack, or 100-pack boxes, I believe.

My last big batch of surgical masks, I picked it up from a local grocery store. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Daniel, are you looking for surgical mask style or one of the other styles? Ear loops or behind the head bands?

I did pick up a bunch of the silicone behind the head straps to use with the ear loop ones when I am going to be wearing for a long time.

We've been using level 3 surgical-style masks from Halyard - I get them through a dental supply, but I see they are on amazon too. I like the fog free ones that have a thin foam strip for across the nose because I wear glasses. I use these for tuning - easy to move down and back up moving in and out.
https://smile.amazon.com/HALYA...g%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-3

I also have a bunch of the KF94s that come in a variety of sizes that fit my face really well.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the N95 ones that I use with one choir that still requries them - behind the head, but free enough breathing for singing.
https://smile.amazon.com/Parti...+%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-4

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
Problem with Amazon is sifting through all the bilge to find a gem.
And only you can say if a mask is comfortable. Ultimately, wearing one with excellent fit, combined with your hand cleanliness seems to be the key factors.

I'd say buy an N95 or N99 mask made in the USA. N95 is going to protect you, as well as others, while made in the USA ought to reassure you of quality control.

My take on this new mask market:
1. Homemade/bought stuff that doesn't fit at all, bandanas, solid masks, things where air flows freely around or under. Useless.
2.Homemade/bought stuff that fit badly, including anything without a noseband, anything with earloops, anything with less than two layers of material. Protects others to some extent, the wearer very little.
3. Bought masks that are rated and look the business but... Made somewhere you are uncertain about. Possibly fakes from mainly China etc. Often have earloops (see 2 above). Ought to give you some protection but how much if the fit is not snug?
4. Masks made in UK/USA somewhere you trust and are rated FFP2/N95/FFP3/N99. Must be elasticated around the back of the head with two loops and have an adjustable noseband to fit. You see the mask rise and fall as you breath showing the fit is good and filtration is working. Probably the least comfortable, probably the warmest to wear, probably the most expensive, probably worth buying to see how you feel wearing them.

That's my 2c

Andy

https://smartairfilters.com/en...ween-n95-kn95-masks/

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 371 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Most comfortable N95 I have ever worn.

You can get 300 of them for $139.00 There might be a first time buyer discount. I remember getting one.

https://www.armbrustusa.com/co...riant=39649761001605

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I find that around-the-head straps of N95s are too much trouble. It's hard enough dealing with eyeglasses, hearing aids, winter hats. I imagine having to take them on or off when entering/exiting a bus or subway, a store, whatever...it's too complicated for me.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We were at Costco this morning and we saw a lot more people masking than we expected to. Maybe 25 or 30 percent? And it seems many of those who are masking are wearing N95s or other similar styles.

I heard yesterday on the national news that 80 percent of hospital beds nationwide are filled. Yikes. All the staff in our dentist's office are masking like crazy, but when I went to the ophthalmologist a couple of days ago, none of the techs or doctors were masked despite the sign on the front door encouraging masking for patients entering. I was masked, of course, and wasn't real thrilled about having an unmasked person inches from my face.

I just ordered 30 of the masks that markj mentioned to try out. It's really the only way to tell if they're going to work for you. We've been using a mask that rontuner recommended and that we love. It's an excellent fit but isn't at an N95 level. With all the viruses going around I want to be extra careful.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I find that around-the-head straps of N95s are too much trouble. It's hard enough dealing with eyeglasses, hearing aids, winter hats. I imagine having to take them on or off when entering/exiting a bus or subway, a store, whatever...it's too complicated for me.

They are a little more inconvenient in that regard. However, I am willing to put up with it to have a comfortable (for me) N95.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So the masks just arrived.

It will take a little getting used to putting it on over the head, but markj is absolutely right - these are the most comfortable N95 masks I've tried. Tight fit to the face, but not suffocating. Quite soft, not at all scratchy. So comfy that I think I'll likely put it on and leave it on while I run errands; taking it on and off would probably be a bit of a pain, and really not necessary because of you can breathe quite easily in this. And yet when you do a negative pressure test (breathing in sharply), the mask collapses inward, indicating a good fit. ThumbsUp

They even coordinate with my blue glasses. And they give me that fashion-forward mutant duck look....

Thanks again for the recommendation, markj.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post