well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Chicago Dog
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago Dog
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
A Chicago style hot dog, to be specific. I had one off of a hot dog wagon today. I always get one when I can find them. But I’m never sure:

Is the Chicago dog a genuine Chicago thing?

Is the Chicago Polish an acceptable substitute? They are pretty common here.

The thin green chiles - authentic? What are they called? I never see them anywhere else.

The crazy neon green pickle relish. Why?

What is the best place in Chicago to get one?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34789 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Techno-Stud
Minor Deity
Picture of Matt G.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
A Chicago style hot dog, to be specific. I had one off of a hot dog wagon today. I always get one when I can find them. But I’m never sure:

Is the Chicago dog a genuine Chicago thing?

Yes, it absolutely is.

quote:
Is the Chicago Polish an acceptable substitute? They are pretty common here.

Ahem! That's a "Maxwell Street Polish," and no, they are two completely different things, although both may be garnished with...

quote:
The thin green chiles - authentic? What are they called? I never see them anywhere else.

Those are called sport peppers. They are authentic, optional on a Chicago-style hot dog, but always on a Maxwell Street Polish.

quote:
The crazy neon green pickle relish. Why?

Why not? I think it looks stupid, myself, but it doesn't alter the taste any.

quote:
What is the best place in Chicago to get one?

Them's fightin' words! Everyone seems to have a favorite, and they are legion. For those who aren't keen on ducking into a little hot dog stand, there's always Portillo's, where you can also try some of our other meals on a bun, like a nice Italian beef or a combo (Italian beef and Italian sausage).

[Insert Signature Here]

Posts: 15343 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Maggie thought you were talking about her. Big Grin

I'm a heretic because I skip the raw onions. Steamed poppy seed bun is a must.

My favorite hot dog cart, long gone. Dad and I visited when we ran errands in the "downtown" of my home town on Saturday mornings .

A history of the company that makes Vienna Beef hot dogs

The "no ketchup" rule: https://news.wttw.com/2017/03/...hup-hot-dogs-chicago

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37650 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Celery salt sprinkled on top is a key component...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
If you ever find yourself in south Seattle, just north of Boeing Field, go to Matt's Famous Chili Dogs. They do a pretty authentic Chicago dog. I prefer their chili dogs, though.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
There is a Chicago style hot dog place in Phoenix, walking distance from where my daughter took ballet lessons. My son and I would walk down there for lunch while we waited for her lesson to finish. As a result, he is a huge fan of the Chicago Dog. Me, too, for what it's worth.

(As an aside, best fries ever at that place. I really miss it, and the time I got to spend with my little guy, who's now 6 feet tall and about to graduate college Smiler ).

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:

Oh - THAT'S what it is! Yummy

Posts: 34789 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:

Oh - THAT'S what it is! Yummy

As he quickly heads to the grocer....!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post

https://youtu.be/ESAyunIpP-4

Learn the Art of the Cart - guaranteed to be better than Trump U

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37650 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Jay Shefsky had a segment on his local WTTW show about how Vienna Beef hot dogs are made. The company still uses natural casings for about a quarter of the product they make; the rest are skinless.

https://www.facebook.com/wttw1...s/10155999754988645/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Portillo rocks. As do the dogs. Love them

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13507 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Saw this on Localish, a segment on the local ABC News.

Chicago Hot Dog Bun at Fat Rice:

https://abc7news.com/localish/...-in-chicago/5823305/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I was just re-reading this and remembering chilidogs at the Vienna Inn in Vienna, Virginia.

The Vienna Inn was a rough collection of trailers and clapboard and fake wood paneling. There was a string around the perimeter with things like "hamburger" and "mac n cheese" written on papers on clothespins that theoretically you could order. But the only thing I ever saw anyone eat there was chilidogs.

Chilidogs were a dollar. Beers (big draft Budweiser) were a dollar. And it was the only place I've ever been where you can order three beers at once and they'll bring you three beers. I used to order three chilidogs and two beers.

The chilidogs were simple: Oscar Meyer hot dog, Hormel no-beans chili, Wonder bun, melted Velveeta, French's mustard, and a handful of diced onion. But if you made it at home with the exact same ingredients, it simply wasn't the same.

The waitress was perpetually crabby and insulting. That was part of the charm. I was there with a small group of folks and one of the group wanted his chilidog without cheese. She dropped the tray of a dozen dogs on the table, grabbed a fistful of the guy's hair, pointed his nose at one corner of the tray and said "THOSE are the ones without cheese". Of course, you could have seen from two tables away which ones didn't have cheese.

It looks like the Vienna Inn is still in business, across from the library on Maple Avenue. It looks like they have an actual building now.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Just to be sure, does the “Vienna” part refer to the beef or the bread?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Steve - you will owe me one here for sure. There is now a Portillo's in Buena Park, just up the road from you. Experience the magic of a real Chicago dog and Italian beef

Their chocolate cake is pretty awesome too, and I guarantee they have something for everyone. .

8390 La Palma Ave.
Buena Park CA 90620
714-220-6400

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13507 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post