well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    My Peloton Arrived Today!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Peloton Arrived Today!
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
After an 8-week wait, my Peloton finally came. For those keeping score, I cannot remember the total price of the bike. But it is $63/month for 39 months (no interest, so $2500?), plus $40/month for the subscription. My order was the bike, the cleats, and a bike mat. I did not spend $100 (or $125) for Peleton's shoes because I have shoes. I have a 30-day trial period.

Two mask-wearing guys showed up to deliver and set up the bike. Per Covid, they will assemble it by your front door and leave. However, it is common knowledge that for a tip they will carry it up the stairs and put it where you want it. Money well spent. My bike now lives in MS's bedroom.

Step one was to put the cleats onto my own bike shoes. Immediately, there was a problem. These cleats were incompatible with my shoes. I dropped everything and went to REI to buy new shoes. The REI guy explained that people have been buying bikes and accessories like mad, and they can't keep much in stock. They had just one pair of women's bike shoes in my size, which fit like a dream. The REI guy installed my Peloton cleats for me, and I paid $150 for the shoes. Dear God, that is a lot, but I am glad I didn't buy the Peloton shoes sight unseen. I have all kinds of weird appendages and bumps and things on my feet, and these REI shoes are perfect.

The next step was settling on a fun screen name. After considerable thought and consultation with everyone I know, I settled on "WokeBoomer." Seems to fit.

Now, a couple of my work colleagues have Peloton bikes and were eagerly awaiting mine so we could do a ride. You "Follow" friends, you encourage each other to ride, and you high five each other. We decided on a 7:30 p.m, 30 minute live ride with over 5,000 people in it.

I haven't been able to spin since February, and that 30 minute class kicked my butt. I tore my shirt off and flung it to the floor after about 10 minutes. The music was really good -- I was familiar with every song. I finished at around rider 3200 out of 5200 riders, which is humbling.

Spinning is not my favorite kind of exercise, but I think this bike is going to do great things for me. I run, but I cannot run far enough and fast enough to get this kind of work-out. And back when I was spinning, I was so much more agile at tennis. Not to mention how this will help me continue to fend off pre-diabetes, which has been stalking me for years. I must say, the bike itself is very solid and comfortable. Even the seat is comfortable. Better yet, I no longer have to get on a bike at the gym that is covered in RandomManSweat.

I'm keeping the bike.

If anyone wants one, I have a promo code that gets you $100 in accessories (so, the shoes or the mat). PM me.

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Sounds like it makes spinning about as fun as it can be at home.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
After an 8-week wait, my Peloton finally came. For those keeping score, I cannot remember the total price of the bike. But it is $63/month for 39 months (no interest, so $2500?), plus $40/month for the subscription. My order was the bike, the cleats, and a bike mat. I did not spend $100 (or $125) for Peleton's shoes because I have shoes. I have a 30-day trial period.

Two mask-wearing guys showed up to deliver and set up the bike. Per Covid, they will assemble it by your front door and leave. However, it is common knowledge that for a tip they will carry it up the stairs and put it where you want it. Money well spent. My bike now lives in MS's bedroom.

Step one was to put the cleats onto my own bike shoes. Immediately, there was a problem. These cleats were incompatible with my shoes. I dropped everything and went to REI to buy new shoes. The REI guy explained that people have been buying bikes and accessories like mad, and they can't keep much in stock. They had just one pair of women's bike shoes in my size, which fit like a dream. The REI guy installed my Peloton cleats for me, and I paid $150 for the shoes. Dear God, that is a lot, but I am glad I didn't buy the Peloton shoes sight unseen. I have all kinds of weird appendages and bumps and things on my feet, and these REI shoes are perfect.

The next step was settling on a fun screen name. After considerable thought and consultation with everyone I know, I settled on "WokeBoomer." Seems to fit.

Now, a couple of my work colleagues have Peloton bikes and were eagerly awaiting mine so we could do a ride. You "Follow" friends, you encourage each other to ride, and you high five each other. We decided on a 7:30 p.m, 30 minute live ride with over 5,000 people in it.

I haven't been able to spin since February, and that 30 minute class kicked my butt. I tore my shirt off and flung it to the floor after about 10 minutes. The music was really good -- I was familiar with every song. I finished at around rider 3200 out of 5200 riders, which is humbling.

Spinning is not my favorite kind of exercise, but I think this bike is going to do great things for me. I run, but I cannot run far enough and fast enough to get this kind of work-out. And back when I was spinning, I was so much more agile at tennis. Not to mention how this will help me continue to fend off pre-diabetes, which has been stalking me for years. I must say, the bike itself is very solid and comfortable. Even the seat is comfortable. Better yet, I no longer have to get on a bike at the gym that is covered in RandomManSweat.

I'm keeping the bike.

If anyone wants one, I have a promo code that gets you $100 in accessories (so, the shoes or the mat). PM me.

Pictues!

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17669 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Cindy, thanks for the report!! I’m so glad you like it!!

You’ll have check back in a week or so and give us another update! How many times a week do you plan do it?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Gotta start slow. No more than every other day, so I don’t get tendinitis. Classes are as short as 10 minutes, so I’ll use those to build up.

In the six months since the pandemic started, I have really declined. Pulse is higher, BPD is higher, weight is higher. My body looks different, and not in a good way.

I really needed to do something to get back. I feel like the bike came in the nick of time.

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Yeah!

A previous thread of yours inspired me to ride a stationary bike and record my progress.

I had a hard time deciding between 10 min. x 3, 15 min. x 3, and 20 min. x 3. I kept adjusting it. This went on for about two months.

Well, I twisted my left ankle and torqued the muscles in my foot.

So, now I'm on a break. I've been off one week. I'm giving myself two more.

The pain is a lot more manageable now but I want to be conservative. Some of us reach a certain age 50 and pain from injury can set in and be persistent.

I can't wait to get back to it. It rehabilitated my knees (arthritis?) and leg muscles. It strengthened my stomach muscles, and it helped with both stretching my whole body, and fine tuning my balance.

I think I'll start with 10 min. x 3 when I go back to it, and I'll stay at that pace for 1 week before revaluating.

Posts: 24617 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
You twisted your ankle on the bike?

Yeah, the first thing I noticed was how my arthritic left knee no longer hurt. That sold me on spinning.

Do you ride to music or what exactly?

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I may have a go at our exercise bike again, you're inspiring me! Smiler

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Plus my fake Zumba is getting kinda stale... :P

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Daniel, the REI guy told me that if you feel any discomfort in knees or ankles you should re-evaluate your cleat placement. They have to be in alignment with your knee, and they need a certain amount of play in them.

Maybe take your shoes to a bike store and have them take a look before you resume?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
You twisted your ankle on the bike?

Yeah, the first thing I noticed was how my arthritic left knee no longer hurt. That sold me on spinning.

Do you ride to music or what exactly?

Yes. I was riding with my tennis (running?) shoes. They were a few years old and broken in. Long story short, I had to buy a new pair (which aren't broken in, of course). Somehow, my left foot lost contact with the petal, and it happened in an instant.

No. This is my first time using exercise equipment in a long time. I like to use it without having to pay attention to my phone.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Daniel, the REI guy told me that if you feel any discomfort in knees or ankles you should re-evaluate your cleat placement. They have to be in alignment with your knee, and they need a certain amount of play in them.

Maybe take your shoes to a bike store and have them take a look before you resume?

Thanks, Cindy. I don't have cleats. This could have been a factor in getting injured.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've never used cleats (on a regular bike) but have had clips forever. It's a major sense of security, and you can get a bit of an assist because you can pull up, not just down, when you ride.

Daniel, clips may be another option, since they will work with virtually any shoe.

I, too, have started addressing my COVID body symptoms. Like may of us, my exercise went down along with my fitness level, and I've gained over 5 pounds, after losing 20. Frowner My first reaction to the lockdown was party time! My daughter was in lockdown with us, we cooked every night, had cocktails, etc. Fun for a week or so, but I never really went back to normal life (at least, as normal as one can be in lockdown). But most importantly, my knees are feeling it--both the lack of muscle tone and the extra weight. So it's back to it for me--I'm a walker, at least initially, until my knees tell me I can do more.

Good for you, Cindy! And Daniel, I hope your ankle feels better quickly.

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This thread highlights for me that I need to restart my workouts.

I’ve lost 10lbs since I quit going to the gym for Covid. I have a little bit of home equipment, I just need to rebuild the habit.

I still walk every day and get my 10k steps, but I’m feeling the lack of weight training.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Off to go see if my exercise bike has toe clips....