Notify
Tools

Reiwa
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
In a much-awaited moment that heralded the approach of a new chapter in Japan’s history, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga announced Monday that the new Imperial era will be named Reiwa, in one of the final steps toward initiating the nation’s first Imperial succession in three decades.

Holding up a placard that displayed the kanji characters for the new era, Suga said the name was formulated based on the introduction to a set of poems from “Manyoshu,” the oldest existing compilation of Japanese poetry.

The first character represents “good fortune,” while the second can be translated as “peace” or “harmony.”

The new era will be the 248th in the history of Japan, which has used the Chinese-style system for indicating the year since 645. In modern times, each era has run the length of an emperor’s reign.

This is said to be the first time that the characters chosen have drawn from Japanese classical literature, with prior era names, or gengō, having used kanji from Chinese literature.

The poem from which they are taken describes an ume Japanese apricot flower in full bloom in early spring after surviving a cold winter.

The new era will start on May 1, when Crown Prince Naruhito ascends to the Chrysanthemum Throne following the abdication of his father, Emperor Akihito, a day earlier.

The arrival of the Reiwa Era will in turn end the 30-year run of the Heisei (“achieving peace”) Era, which began in Jan. 8, 1989.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/n...nounce-name-new-era/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37883 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mr. SK and I stayed up late last night to watch the announcement live. Smiler And I’ll probably be spending a lot of time in class today talking about this with my students, it’s an interesting point in contemporary japan. We’ll be talking about whether this is merely a patriotic choice, or more authoritarian and nationalistic, among other topics!

I’m curious what Ax and others who read Chinese think about the choice, the first kanji, 令 (Rei) could mean “fortunate” according to Classical Japanese, but it can also mean commanding or order, and I believe that’s the core Chinese meaning, and that’s the more general usage in modern Japan as well.

Add the wa part, 和 which gernally translates as peace, but can also mean Japan itself, and this could be see as a very authoritarian and nationalistic message. So I think there are two possible options, the hippie peace freak interpertation (shining peace, harmonious peace) or the nationalistic one (in which the meassage is behave! don’t step out of line and disturb the group harmony)

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That's fascinating. While many of our words and slogans are open to interpretation, it feels like Chinese and Japanese kanji (?) are much more fluid. Perhaps it's just that I have no knowledge of those languages.

Sounds like a really interesting class discussion.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Mr. SK and I stayed up late last night to watch the announcement live. Smiler And I’ll probably be spending a lot of time in class today talking about this with my students, it’s an interesting point in contemporary japan. We’ll be talking about whether this is merely a patriotic choice, or more authoritarian and nationalistic, among other topics!

I’m curious what Ax and others who read Chinese think about the choice, the first kanji, 令 (Rei) could mean “fortunate” according to Classical Japanese, but it can also mean commanding or order, and I believe that’s the core Chinese meaning, and that’s the more general usage in modern Japan as well.

Add the wa part, 和 which gernally translates as peace, but can also mean Japan itself, and this could be see as a very authoritarian and nationalistic message. So I think there are two possible options, the hippie peace freak interpertation (shining peace, harmonious peace) or the nationalistic one (in which the meassage is behave! don’t step out of line and disturb the group harmony)

Seems like there's a third option - intentional ambiguity?

(says this non-Asian language reader/speaker)

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Today's classes were so fun! I pretty much devoted the whole class period to this topic (for both my Japanese-language class and the English-taught culture class).

Jon,
quote:
Seems like there's a third option - intentional ambiguity?

This works perfectly fine in Japanese, and it's often used purposefully, including sometimes for artistic ends, sarcasm, innuendo etc.

But people want to know how to explain it or translate it in English, and you can't get away with the ambiguity, you have to choose.

Also, in the Japanese-language media and SNS, there's a lot of back and forth about whether it has an authoritarian meaning or a poetic meaning, so even when the issue isn't translating it, people want to have something more concrete to base their reactions on.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post