well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I got two ballots in the mail

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got two ballots in the mail
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Looks like it's not all made up.

When my younger son was living here in 2016 to help me after my spinal op, he registered to vote (as a Democrat).

This year, I filled out all the info required for an absentee ballot, and NOTHING for my son (who also received mail soliciting his registration).

Nonetheless, when my complete ballot arrived a few days ago (the inside says explicitly, "Valid upon receipt by the voter"), I was stunned to see my son also received one. Yes, his name and info are on it.

He forbade me in no uncertain terms against using it on his behalf! biteme

Too bad since an extra vote in PA would be truly valuable, compared to his vote in solid blue CA.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
So did I.

Middle Sphinx hasn’t lived here in ages, but her ballot comes year after year.

I’ll destroy it if I get a minute.

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
“Vote often and early for Mayor Jim Curley!”

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34836 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Cheat!

Posts: 24642 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
so it looks like you got ONE, not TWO.

The other is for your son.

Not the same thing.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agreed, LL.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you (LL and Nina) mean.

My point is they arrived at my address and (if I so desired) I could cast two votes.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Well actually, you can't. First, it's illegal. Stating the obvious just for completeness. However, mail-in ballots do have security features. I'm not sure what the situation is in Pennsylvania, but security includes things like bar codes, signatures (and both machine- and in person-validation procedures), and other individually identifying characteristics. Many states have a "track your ballot" option online, where you can even go in and confirm that your ballot was received. I guess my point is that there's more to it than just filling it out and dropping it into the mailbox. There are guards against voting twice, and they've been highly effective.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post