well-temperedforum.groupee.net
I got two ballots in the mail

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/7553989497

30 September 2020, 10:26 PM
Amanda
I got two ballots in the mail
Looks like it's not all made up.

When my younger son was living here in 2016 to help me after my spinal op, he registered to vote (as a Democrat).

This year, I filled out all the info required for an absentee ballot, and NOTHING for my son (who also received mail soliciting his registration).

Nonetheless, when my complete ballot arrived a few days ago (the inside says explicitly, "Valid upon receipt by the voter"), I was stunned to see my son also received one. Yes, his name and info are on it.

He forbade me in no uncertain terms against using it on his behalf! biteme

Too bad since an extra vote in PA would be truly valuable, compared to his vote in solid blue CA.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

30 September 2020, 10:53 PM
Cindysphinx
So did I.

Middle Sphinx hasn’t lived here in ages, but her ballot comes year after year.

I’ll destroy it if I get a minute.
30 September 2020, 11:10 PM
Steve Miller
“Vote often and early for Mayor Jim Curley!”

Life is short. Play with your dog.

01 October 2020, 02:40 AM
Daniel
Cheat!
02 October 2020, 05:50 PM
LL
so it looks like you got ONE, not TWO.

The other is for your son.

Not the same thing.

The earth laughs in flowers

02 October 2020, 06:07 PM
Nina
Agreed, LL.
02 October 2020, 10:29 PM
Amanda
Not sure what you (LL and Nina) mean.

My point is they arrived at my address and (if I so desired) I could cast two votes.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

03 October 2020, 12:41 PM
Nina
Well actually, you can't. First, it's illegal. Stating the obvious just for completeness. However, mail-in ballots do have security features. I'm not sure what the situation is in Pennsylvania, but security includes things like bar codes, signatures (and both machine- and in person-validation procedures), and other individually identifying characteristics. Many states have a "track your ballot" option online, where you can even go in and confirm that your ballot was received. I guess my point is that there's more to it than just filling it out and dropping it into the mailbox. There are guards against voting twice, and they've been highly effective.