well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Goodbye, Dash buttons
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goodbye, Dash buttons
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I never got this concept. *Maybe* Tide or Charmin, but this?

They're going away.

quote:
Amazon has stopped selling Dash buttons, the $5 pieces of plastic that Prime customers could use to instantly reorder basic household items, as CNET reported Thursday.

Dash buttons launched in 2015, and by the time of their demise there were hundreds of options. Stick a Tide button to your washing machine and instantly reorder detergent when you run out. Stick a Charmin button to your bathroom wall and instantly reorder toilet paper. Fridge: Soylent, Mucinex, Goldfish, Red Bull, various coconut waters, every brand of trash bag. Play-Doh, Nerf pellets, diapers, soup. According to CNET, the biggest hits were condoms, pet food, printer ink, and paper towels.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/...a-germany-regulation

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Never even heard of them. I've been a prime member for years.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Oh I am aware of the "Dash Button" ... always thought it a solution looking for a problem.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Oh I am aware of the "Dash Button" ... always thought it a solution looking for a problem.

+1. I had zero interest.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Never seen them either. I order stuff all the time, But I don’t order basic household items.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Never seen them either. I order stuff all the time, But I don’t order basic household items.

...not even basic household items like Calvin Klein underwear?

Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
And never a thought about the environmental impact. Amazon doesn't have a conscience. $b speak louder than preservation of our planet.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
And never a thought about the environmental impact. Amazon doesn't have a conscience. $b speak louder than preservation of our planet.

Corporations aren't supposed to have a conscience, because, despite what the Supreme Court says, they aren't people. People in control of corporations can have principles. Even that's flawed, though, because most large corporations are owned by many people, and they don't have shared principles. Other than a desire to make money.

But, really, we shouldn't expect corporations to have principles. They are organized to make money. They should try to do that in the most efficient, legal way possible, because that's what their competitors are going to do. If there are societal good things that we want corporations to do, we should affirmatively impose those obligations by law and regulation. That way, corporations don't have to worry that they are putting themselves at a competitive disadvantage by failing to act in a profit-maximizing manner.

And here's the key point ... a corporation that fails to act in a profit-maximizing manner is vulnerable. If their profits are less, they are less valuable. If they are less valuable, their shares sell for less. Which creates room for some sharp operator to buy up all those "undervalued" shares, and change corporate practices to maximize profits and make those shares more valuable. So, trying to achieve corporate principles, other than making money, isn't a sustainable business practice for any company that isn't majority-owned by one or a small group of people.

We should have learned that lesson in the 80s.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone pay $5 when you can just reorder FREE?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I thought one or two for staples might be interesting to someone, though not me, but only if the manufacturer paid for them. I couldn’t imagine who would pay money for these.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What a stupid idea. No wonder it didn't fly.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I predict they'll become collectible and a favorite trivia question in a few years.

The Calvin one has to be pretty rare.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Never want anything that can automatically spend my money, even from a mistaken bump or word. Are you listening, Alexa?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of josh
posted Hide Post
I would like to interview the consumer who needed a frequent reorder button next to the condom bowl.

Posts: 2519 | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
meh

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post