well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Newt weighs in from Italy

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newt weighs in from Italy
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic poses two threats: public health and economic.

I am living in Italy, where my wife, Callista, is the ambassador to the Holy See.

I have watched first-hand as the Italian government has worked hard to contain the coronavirus by imposing strong public health measures to try to get the epidemic under control. These measures will lead to significant economic challenges.

As I write:

All schools are closed in all of Italy.
All churches are closed (including St. Peter's Basilica).
All weddings and funerals are postponed.
All restaurants are closed.
In fact, all stores except grocery stores and pharmacies are closed.
People are urged to work from home unless they work in special designated factories

The streets are almost empty.

These steps are not an overreaction. The coronavirus is out of control of in Northern Italy. As of 6 p.m. local/1 p.m. EST on March 10, there were 15,113 total cases in Italy, with 12,839 active cases, 1,016 deaths and 1,258 recoveries. And there were 162 total cases here in Rome.

The rest is here:

https://www.newsweek.com/newt-...-big-opinion-1492270

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Falls under the category of nothing nice to say.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post