well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Wedding Registry’s New Trend

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wedding Registry’s New Trend
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
https://www.washingtonpost.com...a-pre-check-instead/
quote:
... 15 percent of 25- to 34-year-olds live together without marriage, up from 12 percent a decade ago, according to the census. That means they have less need for new towels, duvets or baking pans when they get married. Instead, they are registering for, among other things, honeymoons, home down payments and wedding expenses. Also on their wish lists: Funding for fertility treatments, help paying off student loans and, in some cases, contributions to their future children’s college funds.
“My parents’ generation, my grandparents’ generation, they really want to buy you the sheets or the vacuum cleaner,” said Pelham, a 31-year-old interior designer. “But people our age, they understand that we’ve got a lot of stuff. Getting more stuff is meaningless.”

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It extends to baby showers too. We’ve been talking about this.

Low cost air fares mean that there will be two showers, 2000 miles apart. I’m in favor of this because it means we can celebrate with our friends. OTOH it means that gifts have to go back by plane which is not easy these days.

No one wants to see restrictions on the invitations - tacky! It doesn’t matter how generous the gift of a crib is, we have no good way to ship it back to Ohio. In this case a gift card might be nice.

It’s a big problem.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34922 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
We may be dealing with this soon, when OS gets married.

I really hope they can find a way to register for things that make sense. There are plenty of things that co-habitating couples could use. Usually, this means upgrading. So a really good stand mixer. Really good knives. Really good flatware.

I dunno, I don't want to chip in for the bridal couples down payment, student loans, or fertility treatments.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've always been hesitant to just send money as gift, unless it's money being sent for the person to pick out something specific, like the gift card for a crib that Steve mentions. I know that lots of folks don't agree with me on this. I think the upgrade notion is a good one. So, in other words, I agree with Cindy.

Interestingly, though, there is a trend in hiring to help offset or pay back student loans. It's new, and seen only in specific higher-paid jobs (Starbucks baristas aren't getting that offer). But I do think it's a positive trend, and I hope it expands.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post