well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Special for Mik - and Jon - with a side note for SK

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Special for Mik - and Jon - with a side note for SK
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Stopped by this place today. It used to be a tree trimming company and may still be, but they now advertise themselves as purveyors of fine cooking woods. The margins are obviously higher and they have added a couple of lines of smokers, grilles and cooking accessories.

It makes sense when you compare the price of cordwood and the price of the chunks/chips you buy in BBQ places for smoking and grilling. These burlap bags of chunks sell for $17 if the wood is local, and $19 if they bring it in from somewhere else. That's a bargain. ThumbsUp

Note to SK - there is an electrical code violation in this picture. The wood rack blocks access to the electrical panel. Yes, I'm obsessed. Cool

I think your smoker uses chips and they sell those too. I have a wood chipper (if I can get it started) and could make these:

I drive by firewood places all the time and I think I will stop in to a few of them and see if they will sell me one or two pieces of wood. There is lots of oak and citrus firewood around here one or two logs would generate enough smoking wood for years. My neighbor just had a huge mulberry tree cut down and now I wish I had snagged a branch or two.

Do you use local woods in your smoker?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Smoking is really catching fire, pun intended.

I use Weber or some other brand of wood chunks. I doubt if any is local.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13557 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Note to SK - there is an electrical code violation in this picture. The wood rack blocks access to the electrical panel. Yes, I'm obsessed.

Ah, good point! I appreciate the fact that you are obsessed, I learn a lot from that!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Interesting. Smoking is really catching fire, pun intended.

I use Weber or some other brand of wood chunks. I doubt if any is local.

What kind of smoker do you use?

Posts: 34970 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I have a PK Classic and a Good One Open Range. Also a Broil King Signet 320 gas grill. Haven't cooked on the Open Range yet. Picked it up last fall for a steal - very good shape, $200. $1200 new.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I looked at a YouTube demonstration of that Good One smoker. Slick!

Let us know how it works when you try it out?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I will. I wanted something with a separate firebox from cook chamber. I hear these are excellent units, if a bit of a fuel hog.

First cook will probably be something forgiving like pork shoulder.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have a large flowering plum that just fell over in a wind storm. I wonder if plum is any good.

Do you have to dry wood for smoking like you do for the fireplace?

I've also heard you can't use wood that's really old for smoking. I have pieces of a neighbor's cherry tree that was cut down about 15 years ago. She had it stacked in her carport and when she moved out she said I could have all I wanted.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This thread isn't all that relevant to me but I'm really happy to be included in the special.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don't actually know any of this but I do read a few BBQ forums.

quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I have a large flowering plum that just fell over in a wind storm. I wonder if plum is any good.

Consensus on the BBQ forums is that plum wood is good and imparts a flavor like cherry or apple.

quote:
Do you have to dry wood for smoking like you do for the fireplace?

Most forumites say yes, but there are those that say if you have a really big smoker you can get the fire hot enough to use green wood.

quote:
I've also heard you can't use wood that's really old for smoking. I have pieces of a neighbor's cherry tree that was cut down about 15 years ago. She had it stacked in her carport and when she moved out she said I could have all I wanted.

Consensus is that it burns too fast and imparts little flavor. It also can also be rotted and impart bad smells and tastes.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
This thread isn't all that relevant to me

Well it would be if you got a smoker. Smokin'

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I will. I wanted something with a separate firebox from cook chamber. I hear these are excellent units, if a bit of a fuel hog.

First cook will probably be something forgiving like pork shoulder.

I just made a pork belly. It's very, very good! Yummy

I see the chart shows smoking vegetables, which I have never tried. Have you?

[edit] I did try bacon wrapped Jalapenos stuffed with cheese. Very tasty but way too much work.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I did wonder why Jon was included, although I know he likes BBQ.

Yeah, fruit woods are generally good so I see no reason plum would not be. I'd season it a year but no more. The sap left in the wood is part of the flavor, so I would not use really old wood.

I have never tried pork belly, but I will sometime. It is absolutely melt in your mouth delicious if done right.