well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Will you get the vaccine?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will you get the vaccine?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It's kind of interesting to compare the descriptions of the clinical trials conducted by Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca.

BioNTech/Pfizer:
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04368728

Moderna: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2...na&&draw&=2&&rank&=5

AstraZeneca: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04516746

Add Johnson&Johnson Janssen, which is a single dose vaccine:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04505722

Interesting to note estimated completion dates for the studies. Considering that some of the trials were paused, they came pretty close to their estimates. Pfizer's study is much broader, so their dates are much farther out (you have to read the definitions of what the various dates mean in terms of milestones reached).

edit: More on the various vaccines - costs, storage requirements, etc.

https://apnews.com/article/ast...f6fde45a1edc002ff028

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Public health officials and drugmakers must be transparent about the side effects people may experience after getting their first shot of a coronavirus vaccine, doctors urged during a meeting Monday with CDC advisors as states prepare to distribute doses as early as next month.

Dr. Sandra Fryhofer of the American Medical Association noted that both Pfizer’s and Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccines require two doses at varying intervals. As a practicing physician, she said she worries whether her patients will come back for a second dose because of the potentially unpleasant side effects they may experience after the first shot.

“We really need to make patients aware that this is not going to be a walk in the park,” Fryhofer said during a virtual meeting with the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, or ACIP, an outside group of medical experts that advise the CDC. She is also a liaison to the committee. “They are going to know they had a vaccine. They are probably not going to feel wonderful. But they’ve got to come back for that second dose.”

Participants in Moderna and Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine trials told CNBC in September that they were experiencing high fever, body aches, bad headaches, daylong exhaustion and other symptoms after receiving the shots. While the symptoms were uncomfortable, and at times intense, the participants said they often went away after a day, sometimes sooner, and that it was better than getting Covid-19.

Both companies acknowledged that their vaccines could induce side effects that are similar to symptoms associated with mild Covid-19, such as muscle pain, chills and headache.

One North Carolina woman in the Moderna study who is in her 50s said she didn’t experience a fever but suffered a bad migraine that left her drained for a day and unable to focus. She said she woke up the next day feeling better after taking Excedrin but added that Moderna may need to tell people to take a day off after a second dose.

“If this proves to work, people are going to have to toughen up,” she said. “The first dose is no big deal. And then the second dose will definitely put you down for the day for sure. ... You will need to take a day off after the second dose.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/2...lk-in-the-park-.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
My friend says he'll get both of them - one in each arm.

If they come out with a third one he'll figure out some other place to inject it. Smiler

I am now ready for a shot in each arm and one in the a**, today.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I got my shingles shots last year. The first one knocked me on my behind for a week. The second one was almost as bad... I took the full week off since by the time the symptoms were gone, I was wiped out from being wiped out.

So... two full weeks of sick leave for one vaccination.

The covid one sounds less disruptive.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Got my flu shot today!

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My shingles shot sat me down for maybe 2 days--not really sick, just blah, and a sore arm for maybe 5 days. Still better than getting shingles!

My 2nd dose is due in right after the new year.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
My friend says he'll get both of them - one in each arm.

If they come out with a third one he'll figure out some other place to inject it. Smiler

I am now ready for a shot in each arm and one in the a**, today.

Two cheeks, where’s the 4th vaccine?!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Got my flu shot today!

Laggard ... Big Grin

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
CDC announces its recommendations for who gets the vaccine first.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/01...tion-vote/index.html

Gov. Pritzker said today that Illinois will get 110,000 doses of the Pfizer in the first delivery, which means 55,000 people.

Long way to go.

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm hopeful my wife will be in the first group. So is she ... Big Grin

That will at least take one vector (hopefully) out of circulation. I'm not essential, but my age might put me closer to the top of the queue than many folks.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would not get it.

If it were offered to me tomorrow, I would pass.

It is an untested vaccine that was rushed to market and we do not know the short or long term safety.

Now, that’s easy for me to say. I live in an area where people mask up. I can work from hone indefinitely. I have no risk factors other than age. And if I got the vaccine, where am I going? It’s not like the world will be normal any time soon, so what would I be missing?

If others want the vaccine, you do you. Me, I’m going to see what happens to the people who stick their arms out first.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I agree on every point, Cindy.

I have the great luxury of working from home and can control my risk.

I can afford to wait and see how well it works and how safe it is. And I'm not going back into a medical setting voluntarily until case numbers here are way down. We're up 25% in my county today.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post