well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    RIP Little Richard

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Little Richard
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
Not the virus.

Few people have had as much impact on music.

Rock on, brother.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I saw this news this morning. Frowner

I love Little Richard, he must have been the sound of my mother's childhood, because she used to play his music for me when I was little, and so he became part of the sounds of my childhood.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The sexual content of the song may have been added later.
Have read accounts that a woman helped Little Richard clean up the lyrics before Tutti Frutti was recorded.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
RIP.

Posts: 24655 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
What a long life...truthfully I didn't know he was still alive.

He, and several others certainly changed music.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
There’s a theory out there that I’m not sure I always agree with, that says new art forms emerge in reaction to older ones. For example: The subdued geometric designs of N.Y. subway mosaics were a reaction to gaudy Beaux-Arts filigree. Early rock & roll (like Little Richard) was a reaction to insipid 50’s pop music (Mitch Miller, Lawrence Welk). Raw punk rock was a reaction against overblown 45-minute 60’s guitar solos. I could go on...

I’d like to think that art can simply evolve stylistically too, not always in reaction. Maybe baroque to classical to romantic was like that. But minimalism can be seen as a reaction to 12-tone & serialist music.

I’m blathering here, but I’m sitting here with not much else to do...sorry.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
There’s a theory out there that I’m not sure I always agree with, that says new art forms emerge in reaction to older ones. For example: The subdued geometric designs of N.Y. subway mosaics were a reaction to gaudy Beaux-Arts filigree. Early rock & roll (like Little Richard) was a reaction to insipid 50’s pop music (Mitch Miller, Lawrence Welk). Raw punk rock was a reaction against overblown 45-minute 60’s guitar solos. I could go on...

I’d like to think that art can simply evolve stylistically too, not always in reaction. Maybe baroque to classical to romantic was like that. But minimalism can be seen as a reaction to 12-tone & serialist music.

I’m blathering here, but I’m sitting here with not much else to do...sorry.

Does not seem to be blathering. I like that. It does seems to be apparent.
Never thought about where minimalism came from, but I like it.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
RIP

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post