well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ballroom Dancing Lessons

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballroom Dancing Lessons
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
The James Taylor thread made me realize, Mary Anna and I have never posted that we are taking ballroom dancing lessons. Three times a week! (Most weeks.)

In December 2018, Mary Anna told me that she wanted to take dance lessons as her birthday present. So, dutiful husband that I am (!), we signed up immediately.

And we've both been enjoying it, a lot. The bonus is that it's good exercise.

So far, we can do single swing, double swing, triple swing, cha cha, hustle, two step, rumba, waltz (I'm pushing for Viennese waltz), foxtrot, slow style, hustle, and a little bit of tango. We're even past the very basic patterns on most of that.

We haven't danced in public yet, but we have a wedding coming up ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDXUKYzxDyQ

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
You forgot to mention that our sweet young teacher recently said that we were no longer beginners. We are intermediates, an exalted sphere that I suppose we will inhabit for the rest of our natural lives. Smiler

It's really a lot of fun, and it's a form of exercise that I actually look forward to doing. There aren't many of those.

When I asked for the birthday lesson, I thought we'd do the three-lesson beginner package and that would be the end of it. I'm very happy that it turned out to be something that we both enjoyed.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semi-Regular
posted Hide Post
Funny that the last time I took ballroom dancing lessons was also because the wife wanted them, and there was also a relative’s wedding coming up.

Of course said relative’s wedding ended up hiring a DJ who played only pop rock and dance mixes totally unsuitable for ballroom dancing.

Posts: 121 | Registered: 12 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm so jealous!

and...

worthless

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
You forgot to mention that our sweet young teacher recently said that we were no longer beginners. We are intermediates, an exalted sphere that I suppose we will inhabit for the rest of our natural lives.

How wonderful!!!

Ok, I need to ask the really important questions here: MA, what do you wear when you go to lessons? A skirt or slacks? What kind of shoes to you wear?

Ole

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have you found a group that has dance parties?
My parents would drive for two hours and sometimes more. Their group would meet at different places for dances.
Mary Anna will have to expand her wardrobe. Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I have tried to talk My Favorite Redhead into this because it would be great exercise and fun to boot. She steadfastly refuses.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
You forgot to mention that our sweet young teacher recently said that we were no longer beginners. We are intermediates, an exalted sphere that I suppose we will inhabit for the rest of our natural lives.

How wonderful!!!

Ok, I need to ask the really important questions here: MA, what do you wear when you go to lessons? A skirt or slacks? What kind of shoes to you wear?

Ole

I don't wear anything special, usually jeans and a sleeveless top. Every now and then, I'll wear a dress and leggings, but I don't really have a comfortable dress that screams, "Dance in me!"

I did buy dance shoes. My main physical limitation is a bit of arthritis in my feet. For the first few lessons, I wore dress heels and my feet would hurt for a week. I would never be able to do three lessons a week in those.

My first pair was what they call "character shoes," mid-height heels and closed toes with a Mary Jane strap and leather soles. They work fine, but they're still a little hard on my feet after an hour.

Recently, I bought shoes meant for ballroom dancing, lace-up shoes with slightly lower heels and some much appreciated padding. The soles are felt, but I honestly don't notice a lot of difference.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post