well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Unemployment Claims Overwhelm State Systems
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unemployment Claims Overwhelm State Systems
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ax raises some really good points about scalability.

In the good old days, you figured out how big your mainframe needed to be and how much storage you needed. You only upgraded hardware every so often. Whole different architecture now.

So question for the folks who are way more current than I am (I left the field more than 20 years ago).

I just poked around and see something called Hercules that runs under Windows, Linux, and a bunch of other operating systems. Have the people who are still running COBOL/MVS moved these systems from the original mainframes to PCs and Macs? Or do they still have IBM mainframes?

Inquiring minds want to know....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Since the Internet became popular, we have learnt much about what “scalability” means when it comes to computing.

Back when COBOL was state-of-the-art, not only the people managing those projects did not anticipate the scale of usage that we put on the system today, the conceptual understanding of scalability and the tools to deal with scalability were also very much less sophisticated than what we have today. From certain perspectives, it’s quite amazing that the old systems still work.
Indeed.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
These are state systems, not federal, Nina.

You don't think this is also an issue at the state level? I know in Arizona the governors for the past several decades ran on exactly this philosophy -- and won.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
quote:
I've heard about places where all they had was compiled code and no source. I can't imagine how to reverse engineer a system like that.

It's called a re-write. lol

Exactly.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Depending upon how large and complex a system is, this can be a nontrivial exercise.

Just sayin'.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
These are state systems, not federal, Nina.

This is exactly what Grover Norquist meant when he made his infamous 'make the government so small it can be drown in a bathtub' comment. Conservatives (the far right variety which has taken over the party) don't believe in unemployment insurance.

This is why Governor Scott (and others) did this.

These public systems (including education) have been de-prioritized and de-funded for decades.

It should be noted that the Democratic Party aquiesced in these endeavors.

Here we are seeing the result.

Posts: 24711 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Depending upon how large and complex a system is, this can be a nontrivial exercise.

Just sayin'.
And, what frequently happens over the years is that someone adds on a little code here and there to deal with exceptional cases like leap years that end in 00 and things like that. The biggest problem in trying to reverse engineer a system is that you rarely see the effect of these little band-aids, so they don't get included in the re-write.

We've had a few interesting issues in the systems I work with now. In one case, if you don't cycle power on the system at least once every eight months (actually 248 days), there is a timer that overflows and the system goes sideways. The engineers that designed it apparently assumed no one would leave one of these things running for more than eight months without being shut down at least once.

(For the truly geeky, I think that would be a 32-bit signed variable which gives you a maximum value of 2E31 or 2,147,483,648. Assume the counter is updated at 100 Hz. 248 days is 21,427,200 seconds.)

In reality, the issue was not discovered in service but while analyzing a different anomaly. So, maybe, their assumption was correct.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/OqK3f91BKys

A sad example of what I was saying above. Note, in particular, the involvement of the Supreme Court.

Posts: 24711 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post