well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Unemployment Claims Overwhelm State Systems
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unemployment Claims Overwhelm State Systems
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Filing for unemployment isn't gonna get any easier. New unemployment numbers out.

quote:
Jobless rolls continued to swell due to the coronavirus shutdown, with 6.6 million Americans filing first-time unemployment claims last week, the Labor Department reported Thursday.

That brings the total claims over the past three weeks to more than 16 million. If you compare those claims to the 151 million people on payrolls in the last monthly employment report, that means the U.S. has lost 10% of the workforce in three weeks.

Moments after the jobless claims report was released, the Federal Reserve announced plans to inject another $2.3 billion into businesses and revenue-pinched governments. Stock futures jumped after the Fed’s announcement.

The most recent jobless number represents a decline of 261,000 from the previous week, which was revised up by 219,000 to nearly 6.9 million.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/0...s-claims-report.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37906 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yep. My brother sent me an article on how lots of states are looking for us dinosaurs that still know COBOL.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08...rZ__kHbZt4OQdLEHv26g

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
COBOL? Holy smokes.

Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It's really hard to pull the plug on those old legacy systems and I know of a lot of instances where new stuff was just built around them....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37906 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Maintenance costs money, and you get nothing visible for it. Updating software costs money, and you get no improvements for it. In a Reagan/Tea Party/Trump world, is it any surprise that we chronically underspend on such things? And that, eventually, it bites us in the a$$?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I don't care what language you write it in, it was never envisioned to require this level of utilization in such a short period of time. If you wrote every system to handle the worst case scenario all IT costs would go through the roof.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From the CNN article:

quote:
Despite a dwindling number of COBOL programmers, a 2017 report by Reuters found that there are still 220 billion lines of COBOL in use today. 43% of banking systems are built on COBOL and 95% percent of ATM swipes rely on COBOL code.

That's crazy.

I started out life on the clearing and settlement side of the business; I'll bet there is still COBOL code using VSAM files floating around at my old workplace.

We couldn't convince the membership to give us the money to pull the plug on it all. Not only were the systems old technology, they had been designed when the place only traded futures contracts on agricultural commodities. We went through all manner of contortions adding financial futures and options, and eventually even more complex instruments.

No matter how much we tried to explain it, they viewed the project as having no visible payback.

Having 90 clearing member firms, each with their own system, to integrate with didn't make it any easier.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
There's more than that. In larger systems many times documentation has been long lost, and often even reliable source code. In short they really don't know quite what it actually does, just that it works today.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen particularly IBM be brought in to replace large systems and fail miserably at a cost of many, many millions of dollars. They have seen that too and it goes into the equation. The reason they still run COBOL is not always because they are cheap.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I don't care what language you write it in, it was never envisioned to require this level of utilization in such a short period of time. If you wrote every system to handle the worst case scenario all IT costs would go through the roof.

Sure.

But it was also never envisioned that COBOL would be still in use decades later. Not really, except by those who understood that nobody wants to spend money on upkeep.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
... us dinosaurs that still know COBOL.

quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I'll bet there is still COBOL code using VSAM files ...
I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed that I actually know what VSAM stands for. I guess I'm a dinosaur.

Funny thing: I wrote in at least ten different languages, and none of them was COBOL.

Well, that's not totally true. I did write one very tiny COBOL program when I was at IBM because my boss told me to make sure the new COBOL compiler we'd just installed was working.

I knew a lot of COBOL programmers who made a lot of money in the year leading up to January 1, 2000.

I remember one programming class in college where the first thing the instructor said was "anyone who thinks they are going to pass this class must understand one thing: a MINIMUM of two lines of documentation for every line of code".

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

Sure.

But it was also never envisioned that COBOL would be still in use decades later. Not really, except by those who understood that nobody wants to spend money on upkeep.

Not when your overarching philosophies include: starve the beast; tax cuts; the government is the problem.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
These are state systems, not federal, Nina.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's more than that. In larger systems many times documentation has been long lost, and often even reliable source code. In short they really don't know quite what it actually does, just that it works today.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen particularly IBM be brought in to replace large systems and fail miserably at a cost of many, many millions of dollars. They have seen that too and it goes into the equation. The reason they still run COBOL is not always because they are cheap.

I only worked in a couple of different shops, and they both had robust procedures for documenting systems and programs. A physical library where paper copies of the documentation, including program listings for the current and one prior version of every program in production. Formal weekly production turnover meetings where development, operations, and the DBAs all attended.

I've heard about places where all they had was compiled code and no source. I can't imagine how to reverse engineer a system like that.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've heard about places where all they had was compiled code and no source. I can't imagine how to reverse engineer a system like that.

It's called a re-write. lol

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Since the Internet became popular, we have learnt much about what “scalability” means when it comes to computing.

Back when COBOL was state-of-the-art, not only the people managing those projects did not anticipate the scale of usage that we put on the system today, the conceptual understanding of scalability and the tools to deal with scalability were also very much less sophisticated than what we have today. From certain perspectives, it’s quite amazing that the old systems still work.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post