well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Meanwhile, in Gudalajara...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meanwhile, in Gudalajara...
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Whoa! Or perhaps more appropriate, ¡Ay, caramba!

quote:
A freak hailstorm hit the Mexican city of Guadalajara on early Sunday morning, causing hail accumulation as high as 1.5 meter (5 feet) in some places, local officials say. Roads were blocked and extensive damage was reported.

The incident happened at about 1 a.m. local time on Sunday when heavy rain and large hail hit parts of Guadalajara, the capital of Jalisco state in western Mexico. Rancho Blanco and the Industrial Zone appeared to be the worst affected areas.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/...city-of-guadalajara/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Wow
Plan to go there sometime.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Wow.

I went there for business in 1992. I could even figure out the exact date...

I have an odd memory of that trip - I got off the plane (was living in Mexico City at the time) and saw the newsboys selling the paper with a huge headline that Perot had dropped out of the race. Mexico was following him closely because of all his complaints about NAFTA. Remember the 'giant sucking sound?'

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Some good reminders...

quote:
Did you see the tremendous pictures of hailstones piling up in parts of Mexico this week? It is certainly an extraordinary spectacle. Words like "freak" or "epic" storm are being used to describe the event. According to the Accuweather writer Amanda Schmidt,

The Mexican city of Guadalajara woke up to a wintry surprise on Sunday morning. The city, which has been experiencing a hot, sweaty summer, was blanketed with up to 3 feet of ice in some areas following a heavy hailstorm.

As I browsed the social media, I saw claims of climate change, "end of times" language, and sheer awe that hail fell in Mexico during the Summer. I thought that it would be instructive to provide context and perspective on this event before things get too carried away.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/m...mexico/#314253292cf5

...but that was still some damn impressive hail... ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post