well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    They saw it coming

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

They saw it coming
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Why didn't they trust their initial judgment?

quote:
Rick Perry tried to warn voters of the dangers of Donald Trump.

In a speech ahead of the 2016 Republican presidential contest in which both men would compete, the former Texas governor framed Trump as an unchecked demagogue and chose a striking historical image to illustrate his point: A mob attack on Washington.

Perry described an 1854 assault on the nation’s capital in which members of the nativist Know-Nothing movement accosted a guard and destroyed slabs of marble that were meant to complete the Washington Monument. Their goal was to thwart an imagined conspiracy about the Pope taking over the government.

“These people built nothing, created nothing. They existed to cast blame and tear down certain institutions. To give outlet to anger,” Perry said. “Donald Trump is the modern-day incarnation of the Know-Nothing movement.”

Trump, of course, was elected president that year and Perry would serve as energy secretary in his administration.

quote:
As his own campaign ended, Rubio likened Trump to “third-world strongmen” and predicted a “reckoning” after the election.

“You mark my words, there will be prominent people in American politics who will spend years explaining to people how they fell into this,” he said.

Lots more examples here:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...they-forgot-n1253394

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Graham
Bolton
Cruz
Rubio

And the guy I keep quoting: John Dean.

It is interesting that one guy we have heard from is JEB. Maybe he’s staying silent so he can run again in ‘24. I kinda hope so. I thought we’d had enough Bushes, but I’d rather see him elected than anyone else who’s been mentioned. And if he had won in ‘16, I think he’d not have been seen in public without a mask starting last March.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post