well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Forumites we’ve lost
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forumites we’ve lost
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
That we know of, since so many have drifted away.

Rick (wacky)
Mary (Apple)
Mike (Phlebas)
Vince (VPG)
Larry
Mark

4 of the 6 to cancer. Some quite young. Only 2 would you say lived a reasonably complete lifespan.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I don't think she posted her much, but in addition to those on your list, Monica K is another person I always miss. And she was young as well.

Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
There was a fellow named David? Burton. His last name was Burton. I am not sure if I am remembering his first name correctly.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I think David Burton may still be around (?). Just not here. I see replies from him in other people’s posts on FB or PW, but maybe those are old posts.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
David is still around. He's posted on my FB page.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
David is still around. He's posted on my FB page.

Good to hear!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Is anyone still in touch with ChickGrand?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Not in years. I got the impression he wanted to retreat into anonymity, so I honored that wish.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Felt a big stab in my heart reading Phlebas' name on this list. That one really killed something in me. His siblings reached out to me at one point to try to understand how he could have committed suicide. They had to have been feeling a huge desperation to do that--as if I would have a better idea than they would. Frowner Frowner Frowner

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I didn't know about Phlebas. That's really sad.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I knew Phlebas had passed away, but I didn't realized he died by suicide.

Frowner

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Yes. IIRR, his marriage was failing, he was extremely devoted to his young daughter and was quite depressed about the loss of his marriage, but mostly deeply worried about how it was going to impact his daughter. So, he started therapy.

Now, I got to know Phlebas pretty well. We got together most of my visits to New York, he performed for my book launch on Piano Row, and he and I had forged a friendship years before that because of a shared interest in research (he was a librarian).

so I know him well enough to know that he is not the kind of guy to commit suicide. Very even-tempered, very well grounded. He was normally a rock, with a quite serene outlook on life. so his suicide was a very big shock to everyone in his life.

Best we understand from comparing notes, the therapist put him on anti-depressants (a stupid thing to do, IMO, for someone who is having a normal reaction to life events, not a brain chemistry problem). One of the side effects of some anti-depressants is suicide. the changes in brain chemistry can have this result.

there really isn't any other good explanation why someone like Phlebas, who adored his daughter and would never want to do something like this to her, would go shut himself in a garage with the car engine running.

i am still heartbroken when I think about it.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely horrifying. And heartbreaking.

Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
I was conversing with Monica K or her daughter right up to the day she passed, and stayed in touch with her daughter for a time after that.

She was a great gal. I really liked her. We were going to meet in person after her surgery, since she was relatively close to me, in a neighboring state. the surgery was supposed to be minor as they had no idea the cancer had spread at the time.

I think about her often.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think about her often.

Me too.

Some of my most favorite pianists to play (Einaudi, Nevue) are people I learned about from her. We messaged all the time on PW and then at some point connected on FB.

When I came back to the US for grad school, I always thought one day we'd have the chance to meet in person and play together.

It broke my heart when when she died.